another family, destroyed

Old 08-12-2015, 10:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

another family, destroyed

my daughters best friend called me last night in a panic, her mom was out of town . her dad fell off the wagon and got crazy. I went to pick her up and her 11 yr old brother was standing there and they were bawling, their dad was standing there, in his undies, drunk as hell. It was embarrassing for that family. they are with me until their mom comes home.

just sad.... please people, get your kids out of these environments. no excuses, it ruins their lives, you change their destiny, you rob them of a good life. get them out they are kids. it is not right and I am disgusted by it all.
Old 08-12-2015, 10:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

thank you for being that person, not the one who "doesn't want to get involved", but the one that sees kids in distress and follows through. Poor little buggers
Old 08-12-2015, 10:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If it were me in your shoes I'd be making some quick calls to child protective services.
Old 08-12-2015, 10:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I second that thought. Thank you for being those children's calm in the storm. For being strength when there wasn't anyone to be strong for them. As I have stated on here before, anyone that I have told about my husband has ended the friendship immediately. No one wants to know this things or be exposed to it. Even my own mother sweeps it under the rug. It is a shame there are not more people in the world like you. But you were an angel and blessing to that family. You are a true example of community and integrity, kindness and empathy. Your children are lucky to have you as a role model.
Old 08-13-2015, 01:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Broken Heart of Gold

Wow. God bless you for rescuing these kids!!! So now what? Are you going to tell their mom?

Leaving isn't easy. But she needs to go!!! This is why I left - thankfully my kids aren't old enough to remember, but the step kids are and although they're rather young they've already began to comment on their father's drinking. He doesn't care. Like this man. No regard for the little lives he brought in to this world. Smh.

I wouldn't call CPS. Have a heart to heart with the mom. She needs to get out and may need support doing so. I can't imagine what a sh*tshow that house must be.
Old 08-13-2015, 05:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you for helping out!
Old 08-13-2015, 05:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Do you have mom's phone number? If so, call her immediately. And I'd call CPS, too. Those kids need someone intervening in that family. They won't snatch up the kids and put them in foster care, but they might very well take action to make sure the kids aren't left alone with him and insist that he get some kind of treatment. He is guilty of child neglect. Something tragic could have happened, beyond the horrible emotional impact.
Old 08-13-2015, 07:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I agree with telling the mom and CPS. Not to get anyone into trouble, but it will help her in a custody fight if he tries to get unsupervised visitation with the kids.
Old 08-13-2015, 07:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yes, CPS. I am a former CASA volunteer. They will try to keep the kids at home but will put restrictions on what goes on. It way be a lifesaver.
Old 08-13-2015, 08:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

That's awful. Thanks for looking out for their family.
Old 08-13-2015, 08:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

OMgosh what a tragedy, those poor kids. That must've scared the heck out of them!!!!!

I would definitely call the mom & let her know I have no choice but to let CPS know what happened now that I'm involved & I wanted to give her a heads up.

Do you know how long had he been sober before relapsing like this?
Old 08-13-2015, 09:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

So glad you were there for them when they needed someone!
Old 08-13-2015, 11:25 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Ugh. Addiction just sucks.

I am so glad you were there too! I hope the mom is strong and will do what is right to get the kids out of that environment.

XXX
Old 08-13-2015, 03:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I will be the lone descent on calling CPS. Mom is already struggling with an AH, why make her have to panic about possibly losing her kids. You stepped in when they needed you and hopefully that will make mom think long and hard about getting them out of the situation permanently. Let's hope.
Old 08-13-2015, 03:45 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
A work in progress

CPS doesn't exist to punish parents, but to protect children. Mom may NEED that wake-up call that this is a SERIOUS situation.

Moreover, in approximately 18 States ALL persons having knowledge of child abuse/neglect are required by law to report it (other states only impose the duty on certain professionals).

I'd report it.
Old 08-13-2015, 04:30 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ileana View Post
I will be the lone descent on calling CPS. Mom is already struggling with an AH, why make her have to panic about possibly losing her kids. You stepped in when they needed you and hopefully that will make mom think long and hard about getting them out of the situation permanently. Let's hope.
I would argue that the well-being of a child should be the most important priority for a parent. We're talking about the groundwork for the rest of that child's life. Emotional scars from childhood can devastate a person their entire life, and if things are getting to a point where a man's young children are calling a friend's parent to come get them because their own father is "going crazy", there is some dangerously serious scarring going on. Those children's interests aren't being looked out for.

What happens if something like this thread happens to these children and it could've been avoided had CPS been called? How would that make you feel if you were the one who made that judgment call to not phone them?
Old 08-13-2015, 05:17 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Yes call them. Yes yes yes.

I know its hard for many to leave I really empathize - but $x#*!%@ the children don't have a CHOICE to live in this SH!T. Why ever give the drunk in the home more opportunity that the children; honestly, I don't get it.

Thank goodness for you what a wonderful thing you have done.