Face to Face Meetings

Old 09-01-2004, 07:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
No More Mrs. Nice Guy

Face to Face Meetings

Hi all,

I have been a member of Al Anon for over 5 yrs. Before I moved, I was pretty consistent about attending face to face meetings, at least one a week. I participated in step study meetings and did some activities, I even attended a conference or 2. I worked the steps with my sponsor. The quality of my life improved dramatically, and I got to a good place in my life.

Since I moved out of the state, I have felt myself slipping... ever so slightly. I read the posts here, and I participate in the Monday night online meeting. I have attended a few face to face meetings here, but I didnt feel like they were the right ones for me.

I have to tell you, I forced myself to go to a meeting last night. As soon as I walked in the door, I knew I was in the right place again. I was HOME! The topic was DENIAL. I shared about my current situation, and how I had begun to isolate myself again. We all laughed about how easy it is to make excuses about going to a meeting.... and the harder the urge is to stay HOME, the MORE I obviously need a meeting!

For those of you who haven't gone yet, I encourage you to go. There is a TON of great information here on the forum, and many suggestions of great books to read etc. But it's only part of the package. If at all possible, attend face to face meetings as well. There are people there who understand.... and the feelings of acceptance and unconditional love are hard to describe, but they are WONDERFUL.

Thanks for being here... and thanks for listening.

Hugs and love
Barb
Old 09-01-2004, 07:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Dancing To My Own Beat

((((Barb))))
I know what you mean. I am so glad that you went. Change is hard. When I finally do it, I wonder what took me so long. LOL. It is amazing how much we all have in common. Hugs, Magic
Old 09-01-2004, 09:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

((barb)) - good for you - we just have to nudge ourselves sometimes and once we are there, it's like, "boy i am glad i got up off my duff"!

cwohio
Old 09-01-2004, 06:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Wow I can realate to that. I sometimes have to push myself to go to a meeting but tonight for the first time I did not go. Yes I will make excuess for not going but I am still not sure why I did not go. I guess that I thought that next week I will be back to my home group meetings because I have been going to a new meeting and i do not like the new one. I do not really know though. But this post made me think a lot and I should of went. I will be at my meetingnext week.
Love,
Shana, 18
Old 09-02-2004, 05:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

i did not get to my meeting last sat. (because of storms and i have a lightning phobia - aww gee just another one of my issues). i did go to another meeting last night and it was wonderful. larger group, more organized, so i am glad i pushed myself to try another. unfortunately they are going to have to move the meeting place due to construction and don't have another location lined up yet. i hope they find a place by next wed. because i would really like to return to that meeting.

push, push, push!!!!

cwohio