possible meth lab next door

Old 08-09-2015, 12:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

possible meth lab next door

I am going to ask for this thread to be deleted soon. I don't feel safe having this posted, but I really need some outside viewpoints.

I think my neighbors may have a meth lab. I googled some red flags and it brought up a meth lab indication list. I can check off too many of the things on the list, and have also been learning to trust my instincts.

Rural location and we're very close to their house. We've been on vacation and it's actually possible for us to move. I'm thinking of moving out quietly and quickly, maybe putting our place up for sale (not expecting it to sell though), waiting a bit and contacting law enforcement.

We can store our things elsewhere and stay with some friends.

This may seem extreme?

We have children, so I don't think so. I don't feel comfortable at all staying, or even with giving details. I'm a bit vague and not stating things quite how they are, but enough to get advice, I hope. We're still on vacation, so it makes it easier to think about it from farther away.

A part of me thinks I'm overreacting. Which in itself has me wondering if this hesitation is underreacting?

Next right actions: prayer, gratitude list, get sleep. Maybe things will seem clearer when I wake up.
Old 08-09-2015, 01:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good thoughts and prayers welcome.
Old 08-09-2015, 01:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Can you call it in tot he local police while you are on vacation? Maybe it will be resolved by the time you get back. Meth labs are notorious for starting fires and leaving toxins behind. Personally, I don't think it would hurt to have the local cops stick their heads in, just to be sure.
Old 08-09-2015, 01:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If you aren't the only neighbor nearby to their house, I might suggest walking in to your local police department office and asking to sit down and speak with a detective for options/advice. If you are their only neighbor then I could see how they may suspect you for ratting them out if they get caught with a meth lab, but if there are other neighbors in the vicinity then they would have no reason to specifically blame you for whoever it was that called in the complaint, unless you gave them reason to believe otherwise by acting any differently than you have been towards them previously. You don't have to clarify your neighborhood situation, by the way.

In my opinion, your choices are either that, or move somewhere else.
Old 08-09-2015, 01:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

We are their only close neighbor and we were home today. Thank you for being here with me.

I know some who are in recovery from both alcoholism & meth addiction. I don't hold it against them.

Totally different to be quite possibly living next door to a meth lab.

I know someone in a position of authority in a different county. I might call him tomorrow. I don't want to delay reporting my suspicions, but I am concerned about retaliation. I think it'd be better to move anything I'd really like to keep.
Old 08-09-2015, 04:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A work in progress

People who operate meth labs typically have no shortage of people they've ticked off who might want them gone. Business deals gone bad, someone who's been busted and looking to cut a deal with the police, etc. So I don't think the neighbors are the first ones anybody would suspect.

You could send an anonymous tip to the police. What usually happens then is that they will find a way to confirm your observations (e.g., set up surveillance) and if their observations add up to probable cause, they can get a search warrant. Depending on what you've observed, yourself, it might or might not add up to probable cause. I've worked in law enforcement for many years, but I never worked on the investigative end of narcotics cases. I do know that before the police can do anything they need at least reasonable suspicion and, ultimately, probable cause.

Check out whether your police department, the State Police, and/or the prosecutor's office has an anonymous tip line. Many agencies do.
Old 08-09-2015, 07:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks, Lexie. Between that and middle of the night research, it seems a valid concern would be law enforcement not doing or being able to do anything about it.
Old 08-09-2015, 08:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

If moving isn't a problem like what you say, then I would just move. It's just not worth retaliation fr bad ppl IMO. And you're right about cops IMO... They're usually worthless when YOU are the one in need. That's what I've found, anyway.
Old 08-09-2015, 10:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I believe we have some good cops in the area. Sometimes knowing something is going on and being able to make a case are two very different things. One of our rehab counselors was a former DEA agent and recovering meth addict. Sometimes law enforcement can be addicted, too. Just considering where and how to report so it's taken seriously, and also to have several people involved.
Old 08-10-2015, 08:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It's disturbing that it's no longer safe for the kids to run or bike down our driveway, or play in the full area of our property.

Reported it to the cops yesterday. They'll be staying aware, but really nothing they can do for now. A retired cop (friend) said it's either pot growers or a meth lab, and told me why - even more than what gave me red flags.

Leaving this with my HP. More will be revealed. I really don't know what to do, so taking the next indicated action and letting God guide the rest.

Moving or staying are both possibilities, but either one is beyond me today.

I've found that's a good place to be, this realization that something is beyond my capabilities. When I can fully give up trying to force solutions, I give God room to work in my life.
Old 08-11-2015, 05:28 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Glad you reported it--that's doing what you CAN do, at the moment, anyway.
Old 08-11-2015, 06:11 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Glad you reported it. I fall into the "if you see something, say something" camp.

Like you said, more will be revealed. If you have to move, you have to move, but that's not on the radar yet. Here's to hoping the police get a big bust under their belt soon.
Old 08-11-2015, 07:14 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Let's hope it's only pot then. Pot doesn't blow a house up.
Old 08-11-2015, 07:49 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I had to help secure children from a bad home in Florida The officer and myself thought it was just a walk in get the kids and walk out.. we went in .. in 2 minutes I had lost my earing and was dizzy .. she was saying something and went down on her knees. I got us out to the car. secured her flat. and called for back up. . screaming over and over what was up and where we were. could not hear a thing.. officers came .. got my partner and realized I could not hear them at all. the back side of the house blew wide open.. meth lab... took 3 days for me to get my hearing back and took her a week to wake up completely.. secure your family. if you are having health problems in breathing hearing or dizzy problems.. effects everyone different ... if so secure your home take a hike .. call police to set up look out from your home if needed.. . why cause the group doing this will not look twice at family coming and going from your home.. prayers so many prayers and be safe wisconsin...
Old 08-11-2015, 08:24 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I would continue to pray, and also make plans to move if the law enforcement doesn't do anything VERY soon. Having those types of neighbors is not good for your mental health, your property value or your safety. I have a sister in a similar situation and the local cops would do nothing to help her, and the problem has only exacerbated. Meth is taking over many rural towns, and they county jails have nowhere to put them/keep them. Budgets are tight, and family loyalties are tested since many of the folks caught up in the rings have family members in high positions in the town that no one wants to offend. Keep praying.
Old 08-11-2015, 10:32 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Ardith, thanks for sharing. I'm so glad you got your hearing back! What a dangerous situation!!

I'm grateful for the other shares also. I need and value the input of others.

I also would like to hope that it's pot instead of meth, because of the toxicity, explosiveness and paranoia that can be involved with a meth lab. I used to try to hope and force myself into different realities, but that is no longer a coping mechanism I want to use. Staying open to what God makes possible. Yes, I'm concerned about property values, what may happen to our land if I abandon this place (dumping ground for chemicals seems to happen often), and don't feel good about selling it to someone else. That's why I will continue to pray, and get out of my own way. Checking into alternative places to move to.

Maybe it's not meth, but that's what my instincts are going to. It seems like there is high surveillance by the occupants of any traffic. That wasn't happening when they first moved in.
Old 08-11-2015, 10:42 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Why not have somebody come in and test your home for chemical levels? If it's discovered by a buyer, and they learn you had reason to suspect contamination, it might land you in legal trouble so far as the sale goes. Testing might put your own mind at ease, and it probably isn't expensive (though cleanup will be, if there IS contamination).
Old 08-12-2015, 12:06 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

You may want to also speak to the highway patrol in your area. They do a lot of busting up of meth labs where I live, I have a relative who actually does the busts LOL.

I did not know this, but was told that if they are cooking a lot of times you can actually smell it in the air. A very chemical smell. It may be something to smell for. I would be concerned too, just because it sounds like it is not a good neighborhood to brink up kids in, what a shame.

I heard that before I moved into my neighborhood there was a meth cook down the street. They said there were drug dogs there all the time. Fortunately, she no longer lives there and the couple who moved in are decent people who look after the property. Much better. So all hope is not lost if you cannot sell right now.

Good luck!