Gone Too Soon, I guess alcohol won

Old 08-09-2015, 10:49 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I saw this somewhere, can't remember where:

"Of all the ways someone can leave you, death is the kindest."
Old 08-09-2015, 12:12 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Lucy-I'm so sorry. I don't have any other words other than God will be there with you every step of the way.
Old 08-09-2015, 12:31 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I'm so sorry for your loss. Unfortunately untreated alcoholism is a fatal disease and alcohol wins far too often.

I did not aspire to die of alcoholism but I came dangerously close. Somewhere I found a tiny spark that said I'd rather live than die and that was enough to start me on the road to recovery. The sad reality is many never find that spark and there is nothing any one can do about it.

Prayers going out to you and those who loved him
Old 08-09-2015, 12:37 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry Lucy. This is the absolute worst outcome. My step dad passed of liver cancer just over two years ago... He had quit drinking for about a year before it happened but the damage had been done. His organs began to shut down, and they sent him home on hospice care for what they said would be 3 months. And it was less than a week! I watched him go. That memory haunts me every day....

So I am glad that you won't have those memories. And just so you know. It is OKAY to be angry. I still have waves of it... sitting here reading this I am angry all over again. Peace will come to you, I promise. But it is OKAY to let the stages of grief happen as they will. Shock is usually first... It is like a numbness. Just let it come.

God bless you dear....
Old 08-09-2015, 12:58 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Lucy, I join the rest of the SR family in extending my heartfelt sympathy to you and your daughters.
Old 08-09-2015, 01:12 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Lucy, your post is heartbreaking, as are your updates.
I am so sorry for your loss.
Old 08-09-2015, 01:22 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Lucy I'm so very sorry to read your post. My heart goes out to you and your girls. I wish you so much strength delivering the sad news to them. I'm saying buckets of prayers for you all tonight. Cherish the fond memories & don't beat yourself up for things you said and did in turbulent times. Hugs xxxx
Old 08-09-2015, 01:26 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry. Wishing you and your family peace and continued strength.
Old 08-09-2015, 02:12 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

I am so very sorry for your loss and pain. No words will help take that away. I know you regret the things said in anger. But I have faith that your husband knew how much you loved him and I do believe he is watching over you and your girls and knows how you feel. You did not cause this. You could not have prevented it. You did the very best you could for your daughters. Be kind to yourself. I know you have grieved over him for the past two years. But take time to grieve. I hope you and your girls have support and people to lean on during this time. You are in my prayers and thoughts.
Old 08-09-2015, 03:34 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Lucy, I am so very sorry.
Old 08-09-2015, 03:58 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Dear Lucy, I'll be praying for you and your girls to be comforted. Please know that we share your sadness. I'm glad you posted, & hope you'll continue to.
Old 08-09-2015, 04:00 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

I joined today to post my story, but yours is so heartbreaking, I just wanted to first send my deepest sympathies to you and your family. I am so sorry you all are going through this and so sorry for your terrible loss.
Old 08-09-2015, 04:59 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry for your and your daughters' heartbreaking loss.
Old 08-09-2015, 05:39 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

I am sorry for such a deep loss. This post is a reminder of just how much of a danger alcohol is for problem drinkers. I wish all the best to you and your daughters.
Old 08-09-2015, 05:42 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm so sorry, Lucy; how heartbreaking. I am quite sure that your husband knew that you loved him. I hope in time, the better memories before alcohol will comfort you.
Old 08-09-2015, 06:20 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

I'm so very sorry.
Old 08-09-2015, 07:11 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

From an Alanon speaker: his sponsor's words to him regarding his father's relapse following a long period of recovery.
"Remember that alcoholism is cunning, powerful, baffling and very, very patient. And your father is an alcoholic; he is not a bad man. Your father has a disease, he is not a disgrace. He is a loving, kind, generous, humorous, intellectual man who has a disease called alcoholism.
Your daughters' father was not a bad man. He suffered from a disease called alcoholism.

Thinking of you tonight, and keeping you in prayer.
Old 08-09-2015, 07:49 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Thanks again everyone. It's very comforting to log on and read your condolences.

I told my daughters this afternoon. The oldest cried off and on. She has been carrying around one of her father's old shirts. The youngest said she's sad and asked to watch TV. His drinking had progressed quite a bit by the time my youngest was old enough to form lasting memories so the relationship he had with each of them was very different. We spent the day with good friends.

I will always be grateful that I educated my daughters about this disease. With the help of a therapist I gave them age appropriate info and didn't hide or cover up their father's drinking. We've had several conversations over the years about death. Sometimes I see threads and parents wonder if they should tell the kids about the drinking. Or people assume the kids don't know. I say don't keep it a secret, talk to them about it. You never know what might happen.
Old 08-10-2015, 10:41 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry for your loss. So young, so much he missed out on. What a sad, horrible disease. Peace to you and your family. (((HUG)))
Old 08-10-2015, 12:26 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Lucy - I am so sorry for your loss. Such a tragedy. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your daughters.