SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   Crappy week & stressed (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/372598-crappy-week-stressed.html)

lizatola 07-30-2015 06:52 AM

Crappy week & stressed

I f'ed up at work this week and my boss wound up writing me up for my errors. This job was never really my thing to begin with and I knew I was going to be looking for something else soon, but this week was the kick in the pants I needed to try to find something more suitable for my personality. I am not a fact checker, accountant, detail person and this job requires serious attention to detail that I just don't have. I'm a people person and need to be in customer service or communicating with people during the day. Sitting at my desk with my head down for 8 hours a day is killing me right now and it's beginning to reflect in my job performance.

My XAH is alienating me from any decisions regarding our son's schooling this year and he is basically pushing my buttons to get me to spar with him and it's taking all my strength to NOT engage. I try to stay to the topics on hand and let the jabs go, but it's wearing on me emotionally.

My son is coming home tonight after being gone for over a week and I think I've definitely been missing him.

I'm stressed out thinking that I could lose my job over stupid fixable errors. My boss and I clash daily and I'm just about ready to lose my mind at this point. I will be working on my resume this weekend. My bf is going to help me update it again, adding in my current job position and hopefully I will find something more suitable. It's hard to justify this job right now: I'm driving 45 minutes one way for a 15$ an hour job that has a LOT of responsibility and a boss who is demanding and narcissistic and overbearing. I'm trying to learn that this is just part of corporate America, but there's also a part of me where I feel I have a target on my back because this guy just doesn't like me. Sigh....when is it Friday at 5PM???

Florence 07-30-2015 07:10 AM

This is corporate America. I've been dealing with this at work too, and one's ability to survive here is dependent on your ability to take abuse from higher-ups. I am just not in a place in my life anymore where I will cower for money or security (been there, done that).

I have applied for two jobs that I feel pretty good about, and it would take me away from corporate life (and corporate pay *sob*). There are headaches at any job, but some jobs aren't worth it.

It's almost Friday. I'll let you substitute your favorite extra "F" here: #TGIFF

LexieCat 07-30-2015 08:24 AM

My suggestion is that you do that work on your resume and find something more suitable for you, but that you ALSO do your very best to get a handle on your current job. It's never a good thing to be "let go"--and knowing you won't have to deal with it forever can make the day-to-day right now more bearable.

Fact is, it's much easier to find a job while you're still employed. Fact ALSO is that these same overbearing, difficult people can still give you a good reference if they see you put in a good effort.

I had a terrible time with one of my bosses the last few years I was working at my previous job. I felt like she was constantly looking for things to criticize, and also somewhat to blame for a transfer that I was NOT happy about. Nevertheless, I felt I did good work, and I put her down as a reference when I applied for my current job. She gave me a GLOWING reference, and we actually are social friends today. Some people just are lousy supervisors.

So try not to burn any bridges, do your best, and keep looking for something more suitable. There are lots of "people" jobs out there.

CodeJob 07-30-2015 08:45 AM

I'm sorry Liz that things are not smooth at your job. I hope you find something better soon!

dandylion 07-30-2015 08:45 AM

Liz....do you remember the Dolly Parton song----"9 to 5"? Friday night, put that song on HIGH and sing along...with, maybe, a glass of wine....

dandylion

redatlanta 07-30-2015 11:21 AM

Become your own boss then you don't have to worry about narcissistic ahole bosses!

theuncertainty 07-30-2015 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by lizatola (Post 5488677)
I am not a fact checker, accountant, detail person and this job requires serious attention to detail that I just don't have. I'm a people person and need to be in customer service or communicating with people during the day.

I'd volunteer to switch with you, if there was any way to do that, Liz. :) I like my job, but I have to admit the amount of time I have to put in with people, either face-to-face or on the phone, DRAINS me. At least here, my boss understands and doesn't ride my case about screening calls when I need to. (It's easier, I can listen, find out what the caller needed and then get back to them; I spend less time actually interacting with the person, but they're still taken care of....) Sitting at a desk with numbers all day, and being paid to do that.... Almost as good as being paid to read whatever I want (another dream :))

Hang in there, Friday's almost here. Best wishes on the job hunt. It may take time, but you'll find it.

Eauchiche 07-30-2015 04:56 PM

I am trying to get a small manufacturing business off the ground that, hopefully, will enable me to go full time with it.
I have heard that over 95% of people are self-employed in my town. I am working really hard to think outside the "box" when it comes to my livelihood.

My day job right now is one laugh after another, but it isn't funny any more. BIG corporate structure I work for, who contracts out to one of the world's largest retailers. I honestly wonder how some of the higher ups keep their jobs, and how our companies make any money. I apply the twelve steps to that job constantly.

So, most mornings I get up between 4:30 and 5 and manufacture until it's time to go to my day job.

lizatola 07-30-2015 08:25 PM

Thank you everyone for your support. My boss actually called in sick to work today so it was a relatively less stressed day. I just know that I need to buckle down and give them 100% no matter whether I like the job or not. I would still like to have them as a reference so I probably need to just put my head down and focus until I find something else.

It will all work out and I know that I just need to breathe. It also doesn't help that it is the end/beginning of the month and we have a HUGE workload and everybody tends to get stressed out at this point.

I'm really looking forward to the weekend.

stephendu 07-30-2015 08:52 PM

I've been there. Just keep applying for a job that seems more of a fit for you. If you get fired, you can always claim unemployment.

PHIZ007 07-31-2015 12:26 AM

Glad you are feeling more positive lizatola.

It will all work out but I agree that make the most of your time there to make it easier for you while looking elsewhere.

All the very best to you and Enjoy your weekend.
Take care Phiz:grouphug:

Wisconsin 07-31-2015 07:22 AM

Much love and many hugs to you, dear friend. Hope you are able to rest and recharge this weekend. <3