The Language of Letting Go, July 29

Old 07-29-2015, 01:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Language of Letting Go, July 29

JULY 29

You are reading from the book "The Language of Letting Go."

Have Some Fun

Have some fun. Loosen up a bit. Enjoy life!

We do not have to be so somber and serious. We do not have to be so reflective, so critical, so bound up within the rigid parameters and ourselves others, and often ourselves, have placed around us.

This is life, not a funeral service. Have some fun with it. Enter into it. Participate. Experiment. Take a risk. Be spontaneous. Do not always be so concerned about doing it right, doing the appropriate thing.

Do not always be so concerned about what others will think or say. What they think and say are their issues not ours. Do not be so afraid of making a mistake. Do not be so fearful and proper. Do not inhibit yourself so much.

Higher Power did not intend us to be so inhibited, so restricted, so controlled. These repressive parameters are what other people have imposed on us, what we have allowed to be done to us.

We were created fully human. We were given emotions, desires, hopes, dreams, feelings. There is an alive, excited, fun loving child in us somewhere! Let it come out! Let it come alive! Let it have some fun - not just for two hours on Saturday evening. Bring it with us. Let it help us enjoy this gift of being alive, being fully human, and being who we are!

So many rules. So much shame we've lived with. It simply isn't necessary. We have been brainwashed. It is time now to free ourselves, let ourselves go, and enter fully human into a full life.

Don't worry. We will learn our lessons when necessary. We have learned discipline. We will not go awry. What will happen is that we will begin enjoying life. We will begin enjoying and experiencing our whole self. We can trust ourselves. We have boundaries now. We have our program for a foundation. We can afford to experiment and experience. We are in touch with our Higher Power and ourselves. We are being guided, but a frozen, inanimate object cannot be guided. It cannot even be moved.

Have some fun. Loosen up a bit. Break a few rules. Higher Power won't punish us. We do not have to allow people to punish us. And we can stop punishing ourselves. As long as we're here and alive, let's begin to live.

Today, I will let myself have some fun with life. I will loosen up a bit, knowing I won't crack and break. Higher Power, help me let go of my need to be so inhibited, proper, and repressed. Help me inject a big dose of life into myself by letting myself be fully alive and human.

©1990, Hazelden Foundation. All rights reserved.
Old 07-29-2015, 03:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Honeypig, I love these postings!

Todays made me think of how I worry about how I am perceived by others. How I should not worry about being judged , when I am silly , or make a bad joke, or mistakes even.

Then , I thought about how I must strive to accept others with all their differences, because they are being who they are.

I will work on both today. being me without fear of judgement, and also not judging anyone else so quickly for their quirks or opinions, or their bad jokes, lol.

I do love the windows
hugs
chicory
Old 07-29-2015, 12:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Reading these are like poking my head into church every few months. It ALWAYS gets me straight in the heart.

THANK YOU!
Old 07-29-2015, 01:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by honeypig View Post
This is life, not a funeral service. Have some fun with it. Enter into it. Participate. Experiment. Take a risk. Be spontaneous. Do not always be so concerned about doing it right, doing the appropriate thing.
OMG, it should be obvious, right? But certainly not to ME!! And I guess maybe not to the rest of you guys either....

Whenever I read advice to be lighthearted, to have fun, to let loose, I think "well, I DO, I DO..." and then I think "well, no, I really don't, do I...?" And then I think, "yeah, I'll have to work at that."

RIGHT!! WORK at it!! Oy vey....

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

Once again, I'm so gratified that so many of my pals here find this posting useful. It's about the funnest "service" work I can imagine!
Old 07-29-2015, 01:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

honeypig , Can you tell me how I can get all the older ones of these posts ? I would really like to read them all . I guess if I click on your name I can see them ?
Old 07-29-2015, 01:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by honeypig View Post
JULY 29There is an alive, excited, fun loving child in us somewhere! Let it come out! Let it come alive! Let it have some fun.
Thank you for the post. It's important to have fun and laugh. That can temporarily slip away in the midst of stress.

Tomorrow, I will do it. Or, am I supposed to do it today?
Old 07-29-2015, 02:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NestWasEmpty View Post
honeypig , Can you tell me how I can get all the older ones of these posts ? I would really like to read them all . I guess if I click on your name I can see them ?
I think that's probably your best bet for finding them here on SR, Nest.

You can also go to your local library and check out the book "The Language of Letting Go" by Melody Beattie. If your local library doesn't have it, they may be able to get it on loan from another one in the area--my county will share library materials between all libraries in the county.

You could also go on Amazon and order it: Amazon.com: the language of letting go: Books Apparently you can get it new, used, paperback, hardcover, Kindle, audio--just about any way you'd like it.

Hope that's helpful!
Old 07-29-2015, 03:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

Thanks honeypig , I will look at your posts first , just so I can see the ones I missed before I joined SR . I'll also check in my library