Termination Due to relapse

Old 07-28-2015, 08:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
fbw

Termination Due to relapse

Approximately 2 months ago I thought my husband had been sober 6 months. The time he told me he was spending caring for himself, doing step work and meetings was all time he spent getting high. We made many life choices based on his sobriety other than what I thought was a short relapse he had been sober for a year total. Or so I thought. Any way fast forward. We decided to have another baby.the window for second baby was closing ... and he was beating this. I.had faith with step work eventually he would have fewer mood swings ect. Any way... he confessed it had all been a lie. My.grief at the new level this disease took hold of him was substantial. So when the results of my pregnancy test came back.positive a month later... I was sick to.my stomach. I can not have another baby nor can I handle a pregnancy. My grief over this truth and understanding that I have now reached my cut off point for another child, is substantial. It is one more thing addiction has stolen. I hope he makes it I really do. I have set my life up so his relapses have a minimal affect on our family. I can maintain my self care and commitments with out his physical or emotional support. I will not be forced to rely on his finacial support soon. I keep my heart and my home open to him because he is worth it. He is a fantastic father and friend. My tears and heart break are for what could have been. In my mind there is no future where we have the family we dreamed of. I know I am doing the right thing. I am putting the oxygen mask on myself first and then my son. This other soul is now a casualty of addiction... I am.mourning the loss deeply and hoping for strength to not get sucked into my emotional addiction trap of resentments, shame and blame.
Old 07-28-2015, 08:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm sorry for the deception and the grief you are feeling. Hugs!
Old 07-28-2015, 09:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sending you a hug! So very sorry for the pain and loss you are experiencing.
Old 07-29-2015, 01:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

fbw, I've experienced the same deception about XAH being in recovery. About a month ago he told me that the last 2 years had all been a lie. Prior to that, I was fooled for 4 years. He is a really good hider...

I feel for you, and I'm so sorry for your loss. I wish both of us strength and clarity in finding our way forward.
Old 07-29-2015, 01:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

I'm so sorry fbw, but you have a clear picture of the future and opting out is your choice. Doesn't stop it hurting though.
Old 07-29-2015, 02:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am so very sorry for your loss. You made the right choice for you and your son
Old 07-29-2015, 04:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Just sending hugs. I can only imagine how difficult this is for you. Clearly you've given it much careful thought, and you can make your peace with your decision.
Old 07-29-2015, 05:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry FBW.

My H and I always said we'd have 2 children. But he was a functional A. I only had one because I knew I could handle one. Addiction limits what could be in every arena of life.

Hugs.
Old 07-29-2015, 05:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

So sorry to hear what you are going through. I know it's hardly a consolation, but truly - good on you for not bringing a child into a difficult and chaotic situation. My heart goes out to you, and make sure you are focusing on yourself during this trying time.
Old 07-29-2015, 05:31 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I've lived this deception as well. I am sorry you are hurting.

Addiction sucks.....
Old 07-29-2015, 06:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Can relate to this myself. It crushed me every time. Very Sorry. You sound strong. Focus on you and the kids. You have each other.
Old 07-29-2015, 07:02 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Many, many very tight hugs coming your way. What a touching, and honest post.
Old 07-29-2015, 07:15 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Fwiw, I've been in your shoes. It is awful. I made the same decision about 8 years ago bc I was terrified of bringing a child into a life with alcoholism-and also didn't wabt to turn into my mother or mother in law. And what did I end up with? Being a single mom (blessed!) to two beautiful daughters with my alcoholic ex. I've found peace and forgiveness in my decision and I'm glad you have too. Life with an alcoholic is so disturbingly bad. I'm so sorry for addiction stealing this, too. Many hugs your way and peace to you.
Old 07-29-2015, 08:37 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Sending many prayers your way, what a horrible position to be in. Thank you for sharing such a raw, painful experience. (((((hugs)))))
Old 07-29-2015, 08:51 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Big ((((hugs))))) So sorry you're going through this.
I've had to make a similar decision....
Be gentle with yourself today
Old 07-29-2015, 12:35 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
fbw

Thank you

Thank you everyone for your support. I feel like I have been hit with a heavy dose of reality. I do like that after 3 years of trying to end the shame, blame anger cycle in me... I can look in the mirror and like who I see. I am holding on to that ...... back to taking things minute by.minute for awhile and lots of self love.
Old 07-29-2015, 05:22 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fbw View Post
Approximately 2 months ago I thought my husband had been sober 6 months. The time he told me he was spending caring for himself, doing step work and meetings was all time he spent getting high. We made many life choices based on his sobriety other than what I thought was a short relapse he had been sober for a year total. Or so I thought. Any way fast forward. We decided to have another baby.the window for second baby was closing ... and he was beating this. I.had faith with step work eventually he would have fewer mood swings ect. Any way... he confessed it had all been a lie. My.grief at the new level this disease took hold of him was substantial. So when the results of my pregnancy test came back.positive a month later... I was sick to.my stomach. I can not have another baby nor can I handle a pregnancy. My grief over this truth and understanding that I have now reached my cut off point for another child, is substantial. It is one more thing addiction has stolen. I hope he makes it I really do. I have set my life up so his relapses have a minimal affect on our family. I can maintain my self care and commitments with out his physical or emotional support. I will not be forced to rely on his finacial support soon. I keep my heart and my home open to him because he is worth it. He is a fantastic father and friend. My tears and heart break are for what could have been. In my mind there is no future where we have the family we dreamed of. I know I am doing the right thing. I am putting the oxygen mask on myself first and then my son. This other soul is now a casualty of addiction... I am.mourning the loss deeply and hoping for strength to not get sucked into my emotional addiction trap of resentments, shame and blame.
What you are describing is, I believe, the spiritual malady that is at the heart of addiction. I have read many posts on this website where we are stuck in never ending grief over our mates' antics.

I heard a story lately on a TV program I watch of a lady with two kids and pregnant with a third, whose husband jumped out of their car at a stoplight and was never seen again. A "normal" man would not abandon his family like that.