Parental Responsibility ( UK)

Old 07-22-2015, 11:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Parental Responsibility ( UK)

My boys are coming to live with me on Friday. Already ex is lying to them about how he will "be better in a few weeks" and they can return. This translates to he will miss the disability benefit they generate. The more I hear of his neglect and abuse the worse it gets. I am worried if I die he will get the boys back by default of having "parental responsibility" or, while they are still co dependent, he will guilt them into returning to care for him:/ He turns on the waterworks and make them feel pity for him.

Has any in the UK successfully had a parental responsibility revoke on alcohol and drug abuse grounds and severe neglect of children in their care as a result? I am desperate to stop him getting his hands on them again. Both boys are autistic and do not always grasp the bigger picture. One thought if he learnt to cook he could stay with daddy. The fact daddy should be cooking bypassed him. Exah is determined me having the boys is only temporary. As he has the former marital home and security of that I worry if it went to court he might actually win.
Old 07-22-2015, 03:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Baby Steps

Hi tansy. I'm a social worker in Northern Ireland so our legislations are pretty much the same. The only way to have parental responsibility (PR) revoked is through the children being adopted by others and a freeing order is granted which removes PR.

You can speak to your solicitor about a residency order which if granted to you means that you decide where the children reside. Normally a social worker will be appointed to speak to both parents and the children and complete a report for the court as to which parent is more suitable to meet the needs of the children. The more evidence you can provide as to his addiction and neglect of the boys the better for you. You must have evidence though hearsay won't be taken into consideration.

Unfortunately even if you are granted residency should something happen to you and the boys are under 18 they will be placed with their legal guardian usually who ever has PR. Now if you have family who would be willing to care for the boys they could apply for a residency order but unless there is evidence and not hearsay that your ex a is neglecting the boys it is unlikely they would be removed from their father.

Check all this out with a solicitor as I can't offer legal advise only my own experience in my job.