Sort-of update on kiddo and g/f

Old 07-20-2015, 04:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Sort-of update on kiddo and g/f

Not quite clear on status of their living arrangements. His dad informed me she had come home and decided to move back into parents' home. Dad said son was worried about affording the apartment alone. So I wait a few days and send him a text that I'm thinking of him and hope he's OK. He responds that she was informed insurance wouldn't cover her treatment at the eating disorder clinic. He didn't feel like talking, so we texted, and from what I gather the insurance company directed her to a counselor for a referral to the clinic, and now they are refusing to cover it because she "isn't suicidal." Son was furious and sent me links to clippings of how this company just paid a huge fine for refusing to cover necessary mental health care in another state.

So I sent him a link to his state's Division of Insurance in case they need to file a complaint.

His dad said they both showed up for Dad's birthday dinner on Saturday, and although g/f didn't look real well, everyone was pleasant at dinner (dad was afraid son was still angry about their fight over son's snooping on the computer).

So I'm keeping my fingers crossed that she will eventually get the help she needs and that he will CALL HIS MOTHER if he needs help.

Argh. Not much else I can do, I guess. Not without an invitation.
Old 07-20-2015, 04:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's really hard when we can't help out, and just to let them know if they need someone to talk to, to just call.

Wishing your son and gf the best and that she can find treatment.

amy
Old 07-20-2015, 04:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I hope he calls you too Lexie.
Old 07-20-2015, 07:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

When he needs you he will call, Lexie. It's just as well he handles it.

Totally get *wanting* him to call. Sometimes it's better if we don't know all the details of our adult children's lives until much later.
Old 07-21-2015, 05:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Originally Posted by 53500 View Post
Sometimes it's better if we don't know all the details of our adult children's lives until much later.
LOL, ain't that the truth. I always avoided telling my folks too much until I'd figured out what I was going to do about the situation. I was lucky enough to live half a continent (or more) away from them, so I didn't have them hovering over me, worrying about me.

And he/they, like all of us, DO need to learn to navigate these situations. I gave him some general tips, his dad gave him a few, and he knows he can come and ask for more help if he needs it.

Thanks for the reminder.