Concerned Gf

Old 07-20-2015, 02:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Concerned Gf

Hi all

I recently met one of the most amazing people ever and we entered into a relationship.
I didn't find out about her addiction until about a week ago. She's on Methcathinone (Cat).

It causes her such suffering when she doesn't have it and she bought a new phone and ended up selling it to support her habit. She lied and said it was in for repairs.

I can't bear to see her get the shakes, deal with the depression, anxiety, paranoia and I get the effects of agression.

My love has been to rehab, but just learns new tricks from other addicts and we don't have money to send her to rehab. She's incredibly persuasive and always manipulates the psychologist in one on one sessions and group sessions.

We both have emotional pasts and I myself have an addiction (weed) and I'd quit in a heartbeat. I want to quit smoking.

How do I help her detox? She wants to stop because we are planning on leaving the country eventually. I want us both to grow as individuals and as a couple. I am truly worried about her as the drug affects her true nature. I love her so much and I just want her suffering to end. We are on our own with the exception of a few friends.
Old 07-20-2015, 02:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi DahliaRose - you posted in F & F for alcoholics the Mods will move this to Substance Abuse where you can get responses from those who are familiar with your situation.
Old 07-20-2015, 02:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You can't help her detox. Sobriety is a single journey that a single person has to take. You can be supportive. You can talk with her when she wishes to discuss it. You can bring up your concerns. Most importantly, you can decide how much you are going to let her addiction control your own life.

It doesn't really sound like she wants to quit, or is committed to quitting just yet, if she is finding ways to manipulate people while continuing her habit.

If you want to grow as individuals and both have habits you need to kick ,then that should be the first focus - growing as individuals. You have two separate goals, and you sometimes can't align them with each other if the other person doesn't seem to want to reach her goal at present (and you shouldn't put off kicking your own habit for that purpose).

In the end, she is going to be the one that has to decide when her suffering is too much to continue her habit. You can help by being supportive, but you can't make up her mind for her.
Old 07-20-2015, 02:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I didn't realise. Thank you Redatlanta