SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   Separated from Alcohol dependent boyfriend! is it my fault? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/371722-separated-alcohol-dependent-boyfriend-my-fault.html)

LexieCat 07-16-2015 03:23 PM

You made an entirely sane, reasonable decision to kick out this freeloading drunk. He will spin it as he needs to spin it--to himself and his family/friends. Do NOT worry about setting the record straight with any of them. You know the truth, and what he or anyone else thinks doesn't matter.

I do hope you have a child support order in place, as well as a custody/visitation order. If not, make those a priority. Without an order, he has an equal right to custody--at least he would, here. There would be nothing to prevent him from taking the baby and not returning her to you without a court battle. And your daughter has a right to financial support from her father. Does he pay support for his other kids?

Lilro 07-16-2015 04:01 PM

Daff- IT IS NOT YOUR FAULT!!! You gave him the ultimatum, no? He had a choice, he chose to keep on keeping on. Do not take on the responsibility of HIS decision and everything that comes with it. It's mind boggling, I know. I'm also a newbie going through the same but each day gets better (it's been 2 months). Read around SR. You will find so many people who have been there/done that, it's eye opening!
As much as this hurts I want you to think to yourself, is this the environment you want to raise a child in? I'm sure you and your beautiful baby deserve so much more than the constant chaos that surrounds being with an active alcoholic partner. So you didn't know at the beginning of the relationship, so what. Unfortunately a lot of us tend to overlook the red flags until we are tripping over them. You know now. Do what you have to do for YOU and your child. Let him worry about himself and do yourself a favor, limit your conversation with him, until he gets help he will continue to spin this around on you. Repeat after me.... I AM NOT TO BLAME AND HE CAN KISS MY A**!!!
Wishing you the best! Oh and Hope works, thank you for clarifying the term gas-lighting.

Hopeworks 07-16-2015 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Lilro (Post 5469004)
Oh and Hope works, thank you for clarifying the term gas-lighting.

The psychological term gaslighting came into use after the 1938 play with the same name had a plot where the evil husband does all kinds of nefarious things to his bride to convince her she is insane. (Unbeknownst to her he had murdered her aunt years before for her jewels which were hidden in the house his wife inherited. The murder was unsolved and he had never been caught.) Complicated plot but he wooed her and married her to get back into the aunts old home to try and find the jewels. One of his tricks was to flicker the glass lamps in the house and deny to her that they were flickering. His intent was to have her institutionalized so he could search unimpeded for the aunts still hidden jewels.

He was gas-lighting her and had her convinced that she truly was going insane. Two movies were made after the play so I won't give up the ending in case someone wants to track them down.

Lilro 07-16-2015 05:16 PM

The Evil Husband....lmao....
Thanks for the clarification Hope. The urban dictionary had me all kinds of confused!!