five years later . . .

Old 07-13-2015, 07:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

five years later . . .

Hi to all you wise folks on this website. And thank to the website's founders. This is a wonderful place to vent, to share, and to learn from your old posts:
Last week I finally was able to remove my ABF from my home---but it took me six years to get it done--six years after I realized he had a serious problem, was emotionally and verbally abusive, was constantly drinking or relapsing, was not working, and was surviving only because I paid the bills (clothed him, insured him, fed him--my enabling was dramatic and complete!) I just went back to read my old 2011 posts to this website. At that time he was smoking crack and drinking and on his way to rehab, and I found this site to help me understand my situation. From my posts back then, it seems clear that I knew it all at the time (I'm amazed at how perceptive and knowledgeable I was about his addiction!) but I nevertheless turned a blind eye, forgave and forgave, year after year, until he finally went one step too far with the names he called me. His use of the c-word was a wake-up call--he didn't respect me and I didn't respect me either. My failure in self-respect caused me to become an enabler. I guess some of us are slow learners, but I finally learned. He will have to deal with his own problem now, on his own--and he will be far more likely to recover than if he were living with me, his master enabler. I am now in recovery and hopefully he will be in recovery eventually too. This site helped me enormously. Thanks to you all!!
Old 07-13-2015, 07:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good for you!!
Old 07-13-2015, 10:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes, that's awesome to hear ! It's never too late ! I hope you enjoy your break found freedom and peace !
Old 07-14-2015, 03:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm glad you broke free Cmslind!

thank you for posting! It takes time to learn and then one day it snaps together and you act on the truth of your experience.
Old 07-14-2015, 04:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Glad to hear!
Old 07-14-2015, 05:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That is what they do... They beat you down stripping you of all self-respect. You endured 6 years of it, oh my! So glad you got that wake up call... it's never too late!
Old 07-14-2015, 06:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Congrats on your freedom. Glad to hear things are going so well.
Old 07-14-2015, 02:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good for you!! You give me hope
Brighter days are ahead!