Talking to my ex

Old 07-03-2015, 06:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Talking to my ex

So my therapist advised that a great way to get all my feelings out is to put a picture of my ex in a chair and pretend he's here. I plan on doing this tonight after the girls are in bed. I know I have a lot of anger that I need to let out-I've put myself in timeout a few times today to keep my cool. Not like me so I know I need to do this. I'm heartbroken, angry and deeply unhappy with him. He is so much better than what he's turned into and what he's done-I still believe that. I have to believe that. I plan on telling him all the things I never could because he would either laugh at me, sneer at me, yell at me or throw my sins in my face to deflect from talking about drinking. I'm so angry. SO angry at him. I've never been more let down in my life but truthfully he's let himself down more than anything. I know that. I can still love him-call me crazy all you want, but I do. I still have hope for him-but tonight is all about me saying what I need to say. I don't know why I posted-just thought it may help someone as I know many of us are struggling after a divorce or breakup with an alcoholic. Anyways, thanks for listening and wish me luck on my "conversation".
Old 07-03-2015, 06:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Okaaayyyy... it sounds a little goofy, to me, but what the heck. Harmless enough (unless your kids happen to come in and see mom off her rocker), and certainly better than telling him anything in person.

I used to compose long letters (maybe because I'm a writer by nature) and get it out that way. Letters that were never sent, but it was still cathartic.

Just make sure the little ones are sound asleep and that you keep the volume down.
Old 07-03-2015, 06:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Oh, yes!!!! ^^^^ and trust me, it sounds goofy as heck to me-but I'm willing to give it a shot. I've done the letters, etc. ha! Never thought I'd be doing this but I'll give it a whirl
Old 07-03-2015, 06:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I kinda do this, but not to his picture. I'm a little less than 2 weeks out of a year and a half relationship with an alcoholic boyfriend, so I don't have the same history, but I probably have some similar anger to a man who let the alcoholic have the last word in our relationship.

I did, though, respond to how he acted toward me in the last month, and how angry I was that he welcomed alcohol in to ruin our lives together, in a FB messenger post. As soon as I let it out, I blocked him, so I didn't give him the chance to respond back. It felt like the first time I could really speak my mind without any repercussions or real backlash.

Of course, with your having kids involved, it makes things more complicated.

What I've done the past few days after getting that anger out is I've had a few "conversations" with the "sober" him (usually when I'm outside having a cigarette) and expressing my disappointment in what he's let himself become. Those are calmer conversations, and I do feel that it's helped me release quite a bit of what I felt I've had to hold in for the past month or so.

Best of luck.
Old 07-04-2015, 06:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The chair helped as corny as it was, it allowed for a great release and I woke up feeling lighter.
Old 07-04-2015, 06:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Originally Posted by Forourgirls View Post
The chair helped as corny as it was, it allowed for a great release and I woke up feeling lighter.
Maybe a punchbag and you can take up boxercise?
Old 07-04-2015, 07:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm actually buying a punching bag!! (My oldest daughter harbors a lot if anger under the surface toward her dad and would benefit as well). Thinking about taking up kickboxing again
Old 07-04-2015, 07:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Great! Glad to hear it helped to get some of that anger out. It really can weigh us down.

Wow, I would want to run into your bunch in a dark alley.
Old 07-04-2015, 07:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Glad to hear you woke up lighter!! I usually journal and totally let it out there but this sounds good too! His picture on the punching bag sounds good too LOL.
Old 07-04-2015, 08:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Lol.... This post is cracking me up!! I love WOMEN POWER! Thanks for my first chuckle of the day!!!
Old 07-04-2015, 08:59 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Nah-it's not him I hate-it's the drinking. Plastering a picture of a beer on the bag. That will help a lot
Old 07-06-2015, 05:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Lol... I had 11 and 13 year old sons chainsaw a tree and chop it up, dig a four foot hole for a basketball pole, and got a punching bag as well...and to date both boys deal with their anger in very productive ways.

Way to go!
Old 07-06-2015, 06:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I've got to model better ways than what their dad would have showed them-did in fact show them (get loaded when life happens). Exercise is a great and healthy release!