How Do I Help the Children with This? He's Selling the House

Old 07-01-2015, 12:41 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

You know what Pippi, it took me a long time, but I had to finally come to the realization that I could not protect my children from their father's bad behavior. I can keep them physically safe. I can listen and help them, but their father is an a$$, and he always will be. I cannot protect them from getting hurt by him. Sadly, they have had to learn much too early in life what it means to be hurt by a narcissist, addicted, personality disordered, father. It's tragic.

What they do know is that I am there for them always, that I will do my best by them, and that our life will not stop just because of their father and his actions.

It's taken a lot of time, and a lot of counseling all around to get here, but we are in a better place, and so are you and your children.

You are going to be OK, so will they. Better than OK, you all have happiness in your futures!!! XXX
Old 07-01-2015, 01:38 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hopeful4 View Post
You know what Pippi, it took me a long time, but I had to finally come to the realization that I could not protect my children from their father's bad behavior. I can keep them physically safe. I can listen and help them, but their father is an a$$, and he always will be. I cannot protect them from getting hurt by him. Sadly, they have had to learn much too early in life what it means to be hurt by a narcissist, addicted, personality disordered, father. It's tragic.

What they do know is that I am there for them always, that I will do my best by them, and that our life will not stop just because of their father and his actions.

It's taken a lot of time, and a lot of counseling all around to get here, but we are in a better place, and so are you and your children.

You are going to be OK, so will they. Better than OK, you all have happiness in your futures!!! XXX
That's exactly it, hopeful. Every time I have tried to stand in between xah and the children, in order to protect the children, I start coming across as the angry, hysterical, crazy lady. And xah looks calm and dignified. So the judges, lawyers, neighbors, children all start thinking it is me. Not him.

So more and more I have left him to do what he will and while he hurts the children, now they can see more clearly what the underlying dynamics are. Which helps them see my position. And then they can trust me.

This is all good so long as he doesn't do worse stuff...but no future tripping here!

You know what the thought of her dad selling the house is like to DD8? She said it's as bad as having to throw up every 2 seconds. To which DS12 corrected, 'no, every 2 minutes'. And DD8 concluded, 'it's as though your whole life becomes a toilet'.

And then we laughed.
Old 07-01-2015, 02:30 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

It will become easier for them. While they had good times there, they also had a lot of trauma associated with him and that home. Maybe a fresh start will be a good think in the future. There is a choice, to look on the bright side, or to wallow in the pain. While you can work through the pain with them, knowing that the bright side is there is what they will hang on to.