The Language of Letting Go, June 29

Old 06-28-2015, 11:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Language of Letting Go, June 29

June 29

You are reading from the book "The Language of Letting Go."

Higher Power's Will

Higher Power's will most often happens in spite of us, not because of us.

We may try to second guess what Higher Power has in mind for us, looking, searching, hypervigilant to seek Higher Power's will as though it were a buried treasure, hidden beyond our reach. If we find it, we win the prize. But if we're not careful, we miss out.

That's not how it works.

We may believe that we have to walk on eggshells, saying, thinking, and feeling the right thing, while forcing ourselves somehow to be in the right place at the right time to find Higher Power's will. But that's not true.

Higher Power's will for us is not hidden like a buried treasure. We do not have to control or force it. We do not have to walk on eggshells in order to have it happen.

It is right there inside and around us. It is happening, right now. Sometimes it is quiet and uneventful and includes the daily disciplines of responsibility and learning to take care of ourselves. Sometimes it is healing us when we're in circumstances that trigger old grieving and unfinished business.

Sometimes it is grand.

We do have a part. We have responsibilities, including caring for ourselves. But we do not have to control Higher Power's will for us. We are being taken care of. We are protected. And the Power caring for and protecting us loves us very much.

If it is a quiet day, trust the stillness. If it is a day of action, trust the activity. If it is time to wait, trust the pause. If it is time to receive that which we have been waiting for, trust that it will happen clearly and with power, and receive the gift in joy.

Today, I will trust that Higher Power's will is happening as it needs to in my life. I will not make myself anxious and upset by searching vigorously for Higher Power's will, taking unnecessary actions to control the course of my destiny or wondering if Higher Power's will has passed me by and I have missed it.

©1990, Hazelden Foundation. All rights reserved.
Old 06-30-2015, 02:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

What an excellent message! This is so timely for me. I am in the middle of making a very large decision that will effect both me and my children and I'm doing my best to just go with the flow rather than going into "what if" thinking or guessing about what the perfect outcome will be.