Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

The ugly face of end stage liver disease - dealing with my 46yo sister

The ugly face of end stage liver disease - dealing with my 46yo sister

Old 07-20-2015, 06:21 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Such a sad story. Thank you for the courage it took to share the raw details.

My heart goes out to you and the family.
Old 07-20-2015, 07:36 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry Biancafp. My dad died at 52 after a decades'-long struggle with alcoholism. I understand the complicated emotions that come at the end. It was so sad to witness a life wasted but such a relief to be freed from the ongoing struggle. I hope you and your nephew will find the same comfort I did in knowing your loved one is finally at peace. Take care.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:24 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry for your loss. ((((Hugs))))

{but my heart is overjoyed at the 2nd chance at happiness you are giving your nephew!)
Old 07-20-2015, 08:25 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

My deepest sympathy to you and the rest of those involved. The picture you painted of the days leading up to her death was terrifying and heartbreaking.

I will pray for peace and healing for all.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:46 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I'm so sorry for your loss.

I do think, though, that there CAN be a happy ending to a very sad stage of your nephew's life. You all need a chance to heal, though.

Hugs and prayers for all of you,
Old 07-20-2015, 09:33 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry for your loss. You are admirable and awesome for giving your nephew a safe, loving home. (((Hugs)))
Old 07-20-2015, 12:35 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

So sad, I'm sorry for your loss. I'm glad her son has a chance for a more stable life with you. (((HUGS)))
Old 07-20-2015, 02:00 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I am sorry for your loss to but have to admit I scrolled through all the posts to see what happened to your nephew. My 16 year old twin boys have had to witness their father in a similar state and are coming to live with me in 4 days and I was overwelmingly pleased you have given your nephew a loving home xx
Old 07-20-2015, 02:00 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
happy, joyous an free!

so sorry for your loss Bianca and hoping you find peace in the release from the horror.....

and thank you for sharing so honestly with us. i am a recovering alcoholic from a family of alcoholics and this has touched me on many levels.

my thoughts and prayers are with your nephew with hopes for the help and healing he needs. what you described earlier about the phone ringing and nightmares sounds a lot like the ptsd i suffered from, and healed from with help.

be kind to yourself and seek joy.
Old 07-21-2015, 05:04 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Dear friends, thank you all for your kind words. This forum for me has always been a place for brutal honesty and openess.

It's been only a few days since my sister died and I can already feel a huge difference in the way I perceive things. Now I have room for compassion, sadness and understanding. My husband asked me last night if I'm feeling any guilt or remorse, and my answer was: none. I did what I could, all of us did what we could, we did our best. That's all any of us can do, really.

As for my grimm comment on no hope for happy endings, what I meant was there is no hiding the pain and the destruction that we were left with. We, as a family, will find happiness. But there is no denial of the deep trauma each of us experienced.

Thank you all!

B.
Old 07-23-2015, 08:06 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Hi Bianca,

I am so sorry for the loss of your sister. I am an alcoholic but am sober and grateful for that. I have watched an aunt and 2 dear friends go though what your sister went through and it is truly a nightmare. I'm glad she is no longer suffering and is finally at peace. I'm also glad that you and your family are healing from the pain that you experienced. God Bless your sister and you and your family.

By the way, your post helped me remember why I never want to drink again. It really helped me and I think it could help a lot of people.
Old 07-23-2015, 08:48 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I am so sorry to hear the news...
It is absolutely wonderful that that baby has you and your family, however. I don't know what your faith is, but God bless you, God bless you, God bless you....
Old 07-23-2015, 09:04 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Hi, I just found your thread and read the history. I'm so sorry for your loss.

I'm thankful to God that I didn't go that way myself. Everything you said about your sisters hospital stays and the bleeding and jaundice.. that happened to me last year. It took a little while for me to believe and accept what I had done to myself and my liver.

It has been 9 months since I last drank and now that it has been enough time for my mind to be right... I'm thankful every single day that I didn't die in that condition and leave my kids in that way with that memory..

Thank you so very much for sharing your story as painful as it is.. It helps to bolster my determination to never turn back to alcohol again.

My heart and prayers go out to you and your family..