SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   Finally talked to my son (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/370047-finally-talked-my-son.html)

LexieCat 06-20-2015 05:23 PM

Finally talked to my son

Just got off the phone with him--I was hoping he'd call me, but he hadn't (this is the son whose g/f had an emotional meltdown early this week). His g/f is home, she is getting into therapy, and they were at a pet store, having just adopted a cat!

So he sounded fine, very upbeat. He seems to think she will be OK--apparently the g/f suffered some abuse as a child from her mom, who is terminally ill and done with chemo, so apparently there's been a lot of emotional conflict.

I told him about the resources on eating disorders that lillamy sent me, and he was interested and said he'd appreciate it if I'd pass them along.

SOOooo.... hopefully this is sort of a situational thing rather than something that will affect the rest of her life. That's what he seems to think, and I can't say whether that's realistic or not. I'm hope she sticks with the therapy as long as she needs it. It's pretty understandable that she'd have issues around her mom dying, under the circumstances. He told me that her brother doesn't believe her about the abuse, and she only disclosed it for the first time recently.

I'm sure her whole family is not in a very good place right now, what with mom dying, so she can't count on them for support. I know my son will be supportive to the best of his ability.

Anyway, I feel better after talking with him. I just hope he isn't in for more heartache. His last relationship was awful--he was a victim of considerable abuse--so we were so happy he met the young woman he's with now.

So thankfully things are calm for now--hopefully it continues.

amy55 06-20-2015 05:27 PM

I'm also hoping for the best.

(((((((hugs)))))))
amy

honeypig 06-20-2015 05:35 PM

Glad you heard from him, Lexie, and glad you feel better about things.

lillamy 06-20-2015 05:39 PM

That sounds like a whole lot better than you feared -- that's wonderful!
And I honestly think adopting a cat is a brilliant idea. Caring for another living being that needs her might be a very healing thing. :)

LexieCat 06-20-2015 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by lillamy (Post 5431339)
That sounds like a whole lot better than you feared -- that's wonderful!
And I honestly think adopting a cat is a brilliant idea. Caring for another living being that needs her might be a very healing thing. :)

Well, let's hope so. He said SHE wanted fish--she's never had a cat before. But the cat they adopted is 5 years old (so well-formed personality) and he says she (the cat) is very friendly, active, and curious. So my son is going to teach her "cat parenthood 101." My kids have had cats most of their lives. My son would have liked a dog, but they live in an apartment and both work, so a cat is a much better pet for that situation. :)

CodeJob 06-20-2015 07:49 PM

thanks for updating us Lexie. I will keep her and your son in my prayers.

hopeful4 06-22-2015 09:20 AM

I am glad he is communicating with you Lexi. That is so important. And adopting a cat can be a great thing. To have compassion from an animal is very therapeutic. My friend's DD has an eating disorder, and she has sworn to me a couple different times that she stays alive for their German Shepard. Frustrating for her mom, but a necessity to assist her DD get well.

XXX