Stepping out of the box

Old 06-17-2015, 05:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Stepping out of the box

So, Friday is my birthday. Last year of my 40's. I'm going to make it count!

I typically love my birthday because it's like my own personal New Years. My plan was to come home from work and veg out with the netflix. But I decided to step out of the box. I found that a local foodie meet up group is having a Turkish restaurant outing! So, I will be spending my birthday with 15 total strangers conversing over kabobs. It's a Muslim owned restaurant and they don't allow alcohol so no one is getting bombed unless they show up that way. I don't plan on telling them it's my birthday, unless it gets me a free dessert! Lol!

Then I found a swing dance group that meets Tuesday nights. I was in swing club in college so many moons ago. Time to break out the saddle shoes!

I said I was going to have some fun this summer no matter what and I mean it. I need to have a laugh. I'm not looking for guys or anything. Just a giggle, conversation, good food and music. Something to get my old gray cells moving and grooving!
Old 06-17-2015, 07:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday to YOU! What a terrific way to spend it and kick off the summer.
Old 06-17-2015, 08:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

You're a real inspiration igirl! You're determined to have fun without alcohol. That's a great tip about the restaurants that don't serve alcohol, but unless they've specifically stated that, just be aware that they might allow it. My local Turkish restaurant does.
Old 06-17-2015, 10:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Happy birthday! Sounds like a GREAT plan.

I went to a concert tonight--by myself (OMG, Robert Plant still has that VOICE--they did a lot of Led Zeppelin songs), sat in the front row (well, almost--I was directly behind the four rows in the orchestra pit). I could smell beer all around me, but it didn't bother me a bit.

There are SO many fun things you can do, single! And when I have my birthday in a couple of months it will be MY last year in my 50s! I had a shock when I had to get my license renewed yesterday--they now require you to take off your glasses (which are great for hiding the wrinkles) AND require you NOT to smile! So my DL photo looks like this grumpy old lady. I HATE it!!
Old 06-17-2015, 10:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

iGirl, what a great summer plan! I hope you have an absolute gas.
Old 06-17-2015, 11:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Old 06-18-2015, 04:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks guys! The restaurant did say specifically no booze. As soon as the organizer sent that out about 5 people automatically dropped out, but the was a standby list so it filled again. I guess some people just can't imagine fun and no drinking. More mango lassi for me!

Lexie! Ahhhhhhh! You can't smile? Geez what is this world coming to? Guess when I get my new license I'll do the Joan Collins scotch tape trick for any wrinkles . Robert Plant, yummy!
Old 06-18-2015, 04:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I think the "no smiling" and "no glasses" is for facial recognition technology. They did the same thing when I applied for my Global Entry card for international travel. I wouldn't mind so much if it were something like Global Entry, which you rarely have to display, but you have to present your DL for ID all the time, so you have to hand people a photo of yourself looking your worst. Ugh.