SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   Long overdue update (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/369499-long-overdue-update.html)

LaTeeDa 06-13-2015 01:25 PM

Long overdue update

Hello to my old friends who remember me and hello to all the new people who have joined since I last posted. Gosh, I can't even remember when that was.

So much has happened since I last visited this forum, I thought I would post an update. I'll do a brief synopsis for those who don't know me. I left my alcholic husband of 20 years back in 2005 and joined this forum shortly after. Our divorce was final in 2008 (yeah, I drug my feet on that) and I bought my own house in 2006 (remember the housing boom?).

In about 2009, I discovered my love of photography. Or, should I say obsession, lol? Anyway, at that point I started scheming on a way to follow my passion. In 2010, I bought a used motorhome and started taking vacations to places I wanted to photograph. I found myself sitting at my desk at work, daydreaming about the next trip. So, I decided that as soon as I was eligible for retirement, I would sell my house and travel the country. In 2012, the agency I worked for was downsizing and offered a "golden handshake" deal. Since I was about to turn 50, and that's the magic age to receive pension, I took it. I still had one child at home. In 2014, he graduated and went off to college.

Meanwhile, the bottom had fallen out of the real estate market and there was no way to sell my house for what I owed on it (which was only about 60% of what I paid for it!) So, I made the decision to let it go to foreclosure and pursue my dream. In September of last year, one week before my 52nd birthday, I became a full time RVer.

While there have been a few trials and tribulations in my eight months on the road, overall, I couldn't have made a better decision. So far, I've been to six states, two of them twice, and my photography business is doing well after a dry spell of a few months this past winter. In the past two months alone, I've been to Death Valley, Zion National Park, Sedona, and Monument Valley. Next week, I'll be heading to Colorado, which will be my seventh state, then later in the summer to visit my parents in Wyoming which will make eight. After that, who knows? I haven't been planning much more than a month or two ahead, and so far it's worked out well letting the universe decide which way I will go. :)

I've shot more amazing scenery and wildlife than I ever imagined I would in this lifetime, much less a few months! I'm excited to get out of bed nearly every morning and grateful to be living this life every day. I've met up with old friends and long lost relatives along the way, and have plans to meet a couple more people that have been out of my life too long in the next couple of months.

Oh, and what was it that reminded me to check in on this forum you ask? A couple nights ago, a motorhome pulled in and parked in the space next to me in the park where I'm currently staying. I've been cooking outside because it's hot here and it's nicer than heating up the motor home. So, on my trips in and out to cook the food, I overheard a lot of b!tching and griping going on next door. All of it coming from the wife. I remember thinking what an unfortunate man he was to be married to such an awful, controlling, nasty woman. As I laid in bed later that night, it occurred to me that I was that woman when I was married to an alcoholic. I can't believe I was ever so angry and unhappy. That realization was so humbling and revealing to me, that I decided it was time to check in again and get a good dose of recovery.

I'm sorry to see so many new people here, struggling with the same things I struggled with (and still do sometimes). This forum can help you with your struggles. I know it helped me with mine.

L

maia1234 06-13-2015 01:38 PM

LTD- Welcome back!! Awesome story and so happy for you that you have moved on in your life and Blossomed. We all need to see the peace after the' storm.

Your story hit home as I was that nagging controlling women also. Glad that we have learned and I hope to never do that again. Thanks for sharing.

I hope you continue to be blessed in your life!!!

least 06-13-2015 01:46 PM

Good to see you again! :hug: Did you take that picture of the hummingbird in your avatar? I love hummingbirds. :)

I'm glad you're doing well. :)

aasharon90 06-13-2015 01:46 PM

Death Valley....is that in LSU Territory? :)

So glad to hear that you are doing well
and don't ever be a stranger because
we miss everyone who has added a little
bit or more of themselves with us here in SR. :)

LaTeeDa 06-13-2015 02:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the welcome(s) back! Yes, I did shoot the hummingbird in my avatar, and many others, too. I bought a feeder to take with me and put it out if I'm in a place for a week or more. They are so much fun to photograph!

Here's another photo from my recent travels-

LaTeeDa 06-13-2015 02:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Wow, a lot has changed here since I last visited. Very small size limit on photos for one thing, lol.

aasharon90 06-13-2015 02:20 PM

Simply Gorgeous outside images as it is
from one of our Lovely Members inside.

Truly Inspirational..!!!! :)

Sasha4 06-13-2015 03:55 PM

I would love to see a photo of the van you live in!

May you be always safe and happy on your travels.

xxxx

LaTeeDa 06-13-2015 04:00 PM

I think I have one somewhere. Let me go look. :)

LaTeeDa 06-13-2015 04:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here it is. My "tiny home" on wheels. I tow my little car behind so I can use it to sightsee. Sorry about the crappy photo. Downloading it from my facebook page was easier than searching my hard drives, lol. If you see me on the road, honk and wave!

SoloMio 06-13-2015 04:19 PM

I remember when you started posting your photographs here-- hoping that your hobby could become a vocation… congratulations on living your dream! The photos are beautiful!

Sasha4 06-13-2015 05:01 PM

Thank you - its beautiful!!
Can you sleep in the top bit over the drivers seat?
Do you miss living in a house at all?

Refiner 06-13-2015 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by LaTeeDa (Post 5420308)
Here it is. My "tiny home" on wheels. I tow my little car behind so I can use it to sightsee. Sorry about the crappy photo. Downloading it from my facebook page was easier than searching my hard drives, lol. If you see me on the road, honk and wave!

I'm traveling in our motor home as I type! Been on vacation. We meet SO many fine ppl as yourself who are full timers! What a life you have... I have to go to work on Monday! :)

LaTeeDa 06-13-2015 05:19 PM

Sasha- It was originally designed with a bed over the cab. When I went full time, I didn't need it any more since my kids are grown and don't travel with me. I got rid of the mattress and use the space to store things. I don't miss living in a house. I hate housekeeping and yard work, so having a very small space to clean and maintain suits me fine.

Refiner- It's a good life! Living the dream, as they say! I have met many wonderful people on the road, too. It has restored my faith in humanity! I work every day on my photographs, but I love what I do so it feels less like work and more like joy. :)

L

Wisconsin 06-13-2015 05:35 PM

What a wonderful, wonderful update! I've thought of you often, LTD, and am so thrilled that you are loving life. Don't forget to check in if/when you swing through Wisconsin!

Refiner 06-13-2015 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Wisconsin (Post 5420446)
What a wonderful, wonderful update! I've thought of you often, LTD, and am so thrilled that you are loving life. Don't forget to check in if/when you swing through Wisconsin!

Wisconsin I'll be camping in WI next month and this time we take our beloved dogs!! :)

LaTeeDa 06-13-2015 06:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Luna is my co-pilot and constant companion. Here she is at Quail Creek Reservoir in southwestern Utah. She loves it when we camp near a river or lake, so I try to oblige her whenever I can. :)

Refiner 06-13-2015 06:19 PM

OMG you definitely ARE living the dream!!! What a BEAUTIFUL companion you have!!

firebolt 06-15-2015 03:34 PM

Great photos, LTD, and great life!!!

Needabreak 06-15-2015 03:59 PM

I am planning to the same thing, LaTeeDa. I've been living and working in New York City for the past 30 years, but now that I'm in my 50s I am seriously considering selling my condo, buying a small Class C RV or a Casita travel trailer, and hitting the road for a few years. Boondocking in the Arizona desert during the Winter, and travelling through the Pacific Northwest and Canada during the Spring, Summer and Fall, with a month perched above the Pacific Ocean somewhere! There is a lot to see and many adventures to be had....

Your post is inspiring!