OT--hard work paying off...

Old 06-06-2015, 09:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

OT--hard work paying off...

So I got the news a couple days ago that an essay I wrote won a major award! This has been a long time in the making, and my work/career was almost derailed a few times by addicted loved ones. My father died of his alcoholism while I was in grad school, and a few years into my first job I got involved with a cocaine addict and allowed that to distract me from the work at hand. There were times in there when I almost let the trauma and emotional exhaustion of dealing with addiction stop me from following my chosen career path. I'm so glad that I found some recovery and set my mind to living a more peaceful life. I've been finding writing so much easier with my newfound serenity, and I got this news while spending a happy morning writing in my office. I'm working on a book, and have been feeling a little discouraged about when it will ever be finished, but this news is just the encouragement I needed!

I find it difficult to be proud of things like this, or to share them with others. My narcissistic mother used to tell me as a kid when I shared with her my excitement about things I'd done that I shouldn't brag. She said that it made my siblings feel bad, but looking back I think it also made her feel bad, that she was threatened by her daughter having any success. So I'm working on sharing happy news without embarrassment! And I wanted to share the happy news with you all here, because you've been such a positive part of my life recently and your strength and wisdom has helped me a lot!
Old 06-06-2015, 09:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's great! Congratulations on the award and thanks for sharing your success with us.
Old 06-06-2015, 09:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Haha, and now I am noticing that there's a subject-verb agreement issue in the last sentence of my post but I can't edit it, gah! LOL, perfectionist ACOA much??
Old 06-06-2015, 09:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

JJJ- what we are taught as a child does not always mean, we have to live that as an adult. You should be very proud of your accomplishment!! I am sure you worked very, very hard on it and SO deserve the recognition.

Thank you for sharing it with your friends at SR. We are always in need of positive things in ones lives. CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU!!
Old 06-06-2015, 09:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Awesome news! Great job!
Old 06-06-2015, 10:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jjj111 View Post
Haha, and now I am noticing that there's a subject-verb agreement issue in the last sentence of my post but I can't edit it, gah! LOL, perfectionist ACOA much??
LOL. I'll actually go back and correct the spelling/grammar in my journal when I reread entries. A typo in a post makes me go all ACOA perfectionist crazy. Don't even get me started on autocorrect. Maybe someday I'll learn to quit nitpicking and just let things be. Someday.
Old 06-06-2015, 12:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

LOL, I love that you correct your journal entries. Glad I'm not alone in turning my perfectionist tendencies against my own grammar! It's a blessing and a curse.
Old 06-06-2015, 01:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

JJJ.........you are entitled to be proud of your writing.....and, so are we!!!!!!

dandylion
Old 06-06-2015, 07:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I'm the same way when it comes to writing. I can't STAND seeing a typo or misspelling or ungrammatical sentence in any of my posts here. I DO edit when I notice it in time, and I'm prone to re-reading my posts to see if I messed up.

HUGE congrats on the award! I live alone, and I am very prone to posting my personal trials and triumphs here. My SR F/F peeps are the BEST.
Old 06-07-2015, 01:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well done JJJ