Al-Anon meetings

Old 08-26-2004, 11:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Al-Anon meetings

I looked up a local meeting place in my area and I would really like to go but I have to think of a creative way to get out of the house, My husband would flip if I told him I was going ton an Al-anon meeting because as far as he's concerned he doesn't have a drinking problem.

So my question is anyone else have this problem and how did you go about it?

I would need him to babysit which he does happily but I tell him where I'm going and how long I'll be gone.

Thanks you guy's I'm loving all the support you all provide here!
Old 08-26-2004, 11:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

well - i don't know - i don't think you should have to lie. can you get anyone else to babysit?

i don't think most a's realize that al-anon is NOT about them anyway - it's about healing you.

maybe some ofthe others will post some ideas to help! glad to hear you at least want to go to a meeting!

hugs and good luck - cwohio
Old 08-26-2004, 12:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
believer

H SAHM,

Tell him you're going to al-anon meetings to deal with the affects of growing up with an alcoholic father. And like cwohio said, tell him it's about healing yourself.

Good luck!
Old 08-26-2004, 12:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I agree with cwohio and I think it's sad that you fell like you have to lie. But I think it's great that you're going to go anyway. Perhaps if you tried to explain what the meetings are about and that it's not all about him?...

Good luck whatever you decide!
Old 08-26-2004, 12:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Dancing To My Own Beat

There are Codependants anonymous and emotions anonymous. They may seem less threatening. Alcoholics think it's all about them. Many groups are in churches. You could say you were invited to a church sponsored group by a friend. It's a hard position to be in, but finding a meeting will be a start to finding some peace and healing. Hugs, Magic
Old 08-26-2004, 01:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Barn Goddess

Originally Posted by sahm3
I looked up a local meeting place in my area and I would really like to go but I have to think of a creative way to get out of the house, My husband would flip if I told him I was going ton an Al-anon meeting because as far as he's concerned he doesn't have a drinking problem.

So my question is anyone else have this problem and how did you go about it?

I would need him to babysit which he does happily but I tell him where I'm going and how long I'll be gone.

Thanks you guy's I'm loving all the support you all provide here!
My favorite line with my b/f is - "You're right. YOU don't have a problem with your drinking, I DO!!" And it's true. He could care less if he's bombed, it doesn't affect him -- just me.
The truth hurts - I'd let him flip and have someone available (a friend or family member) to babysit.
Old 08-26-2004, 01:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The important thing is that you go to the meeting. So if you don't feel comfortable telling him the truth, tell him a partial truth. I like Magic's idea about the church meeting. Or you could call it a meditation class. I like to go to a lunchtime meeting near my work - that way I didn't have to explain at all in the begining. Find something as close to the truth as you can manage. But go!
Old 08-26-2004, 03:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cadence57
My favorite line with my b/f is - "You're right. YOU don't have a problem with your drinking, I DO!!" And it's true. He could care less if he's bombed, it doesn't affect him -- just me.
The truth hurts - I'd let him flip and have someone available (a friend or family member) to babysit.
I love that line I'll definitley use that one on him! Thanks
Old 08-26-2004, 03:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

These suggestions and ideas are all great! I'll let you all know how it goes my meetings are on Wednesday night so maybe I'll get to go to the next meeting!