The Language of Letting Go, May 31

Old 05-31-2015, 01:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Language of Letting Go, May 31

May 31

You are reading from the book "The Language of Letting Go."

What If?

I was talking to a friend one day about something I planned to do. Actually, I was worrying about how one particular person might react to what I intended to do.

"What if he doesn't handle it very well?" I asked.

"Then," my friend replied, "you're going to have to handle it well."

What if's can make us crazy. They put control over our life in someone else's hands. What if's are a sign that we have reverted to thinking that people have to react in a particular way for us to continue on our course.

What if's are also a clue that we may be wondering whether we can trust ourselves and our Higher Power to do what's best for us. These are shreds of codependent ways of thinking, feeling, and behaving, and they signal fear.

The reactions, feelings, likes or dislikes of others don't have to control our behaviors, feelings, and direction. We don't need to control how others react to our choices. We can trust ourselves, with help from a Higher Power, to handle any outcome - even the most uncomfortable. And, my friend, we can trust ourselves to handle it well.

Today, I will not worry about other people's reactions or events outside of my control. Instead, I will focus on my reactions. I will handle my life well today and trust that, tomorrow, I can do the same.

©1990, Hazelden Foundation. All rights reserved.

online photo storage
Old 05-31-2015, 07:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thank you. Again. Very, very much.

These daily readings give my the gift of another viewpoint to look at things from, or reinforce and bring back to what I'm learning through meetings and my sponsor.

"Then you're going to have to handle it very well."

What a beautiful reminder today that I have a CHOICE to handle things well, even if others aren't!

The topic at yesterday's meeting was Alanon literature and the wealth of information available to us. From what I gain from these posts, and that nudge, I picked up three more daily readers. I'm making them and the other recovery books I have a greater priority.

Old 05-31-2015, 07:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am so glad you're finding these posts useful, KTF. I get so much out of them also. While I have some Alanon daily readers, and while they are good, helpful books, this particular book is exactly the right one for me, right at this moment, right where I am.

The more I read and learn, the more I realize there is for me to read and learn...but that doesn't frighten or depress me; it actually makes me wonder what's coming up around the next curve, and I LIKE that feeling!