What a day!!

Old 05-28-2015, 08:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What a day!!

I apologize for the looong vent! First, today was a field trip for my daughter to which I got to attend. (a museum; it was great!) I had a pod of 3 girls with me... a little stressful being in charge of three 8 yr olds, but it was fun and nothing I can't handle because my job is working with kids... But all the other adults afterwards were like "Ugh, I need a shot!" or "can't wait to go home a make a cocktail." I thought... "no biggie... I'm not stressed. I don't need a drink."

I get home, my youngest and I are watching TV, I'm doing my workout, she is in and out of the front door blowing bubbles...

Some weirdo tries to walk into my house! Claims he is looking for some girl, whom I explained doesn't live here and he has the wrong house. He kept asking me my name and telling me he had legal business... I finally threatened to call the police and I managed to get a few pics of his backside and the back of his car, but couldn't make out the license plate...
I did get to notify a bunch of neighbors about it, so that felt good. But frazzled, I go to pick up my oldest daughter who was having dinner at a friends, and the mom informs me that she went ahead and bought the concert tickets for her daughter's bday (to which my daughter was supposed to go) but then she says the date... and it happens to be the same date that my best friend is getting married this summer. This best friend's daughter is my daughter's bestie, so there's no way I could let her ditch the wedding for a concert. Somehow, I read the text wrong when she asked if my daughter could go, and my daughter verbally told me the wrong date!! so now this woman's out $120! and I feel awful. (side note: the old me would have tried to manipulate the whole situation so my daughter could do both and I would have to scramble to please everyone. yay for not doing that anymore!) but I still feel bad. I offered to make it up by taking our daughters somewhere else fun over the summer...

And then I get home, making dinner... and I open an email from the ex. The ex who, admittedly through all of this chaos today, I thought of often and I just need him to vent to... to lean on... he was my best friend. In the email he says he's been 9 days sober and waiting for treatment.. not sure if I believe it, but boy it sent me into tears. Ugh... wish I could stop hoping so much and just say "cool. good job!"

I didn't respond. I need to cool down emotionally before I respond so I'm not tempted to get all emotionally wrapped up. But oh man... what a day!!!! Gah!
Old 05-28-2015, 11:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Lemon......the saying: "when one door closes---another door opens.....well, that is true...........But, that time in the hallway is really weird and uncomfortable.
Fortunately, the hallway time is temporary........and, eventually, passes....

dandylion
Old 05-29-2015, 05:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A work in progress

The only good thing about bad things coming in bunches is that at least you get it over with at once! Sounds like a horrendous day.

I think I'd offer to pay for the ticket, under the circumstances. I've been stuck with spare tickets when people who told me they would go bow out. Sometimes it's unavoidable, but in this case the mistake was yours and it doesn't seem right for her to be the one on the hook for the ticket price.

You might be able to get most/all of your money back by selling it on StubHub or Craigslist. I've done that numerous times (go to a lot of concerts).

Hope things are better the rest of the week!
Old 05-29-2015, 06:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Someone told me the best way to get over a bad day is to go to bed. Get a good night's rest and start over.
Old 05-29-2015, 06:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

True.... the "bad" day did pass when I went to bed! Lol

I had a funny thought at one point. I really wanted to grab a bottle of this peach wine from Trader Joes as I shopped for dinner and I told myself 'no'... and I fought with myself for a moment. Well, a few moments. I thought "triggers... this is stress. And here I'm watching thousands of A's commit to a life where they just accept that stress happens, and yet it doesn't mean they need a drink..."

And of course, the moments passed. I realized that stress is often dramatized or over-exaggerated where it doesn't need to be. Is it possible that even though the events seem worthy of stress that the antidote is just a sense of false entitlement?

I did offer to pay if she couldn't find someone else to for to the concert; she said don't worry about it. I ended up offering to take the girls somewhere else this summer.... I'm sure my "let me fix this" attitude got a little annoying ;-) haha