Worried about my little brother

Old 05-25-2015, 06:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Worried about my little brother

My brother and I had agreed he'd come to visit us and our 1 month old daughter after our Sunday football session.

But he bailed on the football and then bailed on our evening plans too. Simply because he couldn't stop drinking when he got up with a hangover on Sunday morning.

This isn't the first time. He's isolating himself more and more. He just broke up with his girlfriend of five years.

Everyone who knows him loves him, except he himself. I need to find a way to help him see that there is so much of him to love.

I believe his drinking is a symptom of his unhappiness, not the cause of it. I hope to understand him better by spending time here listening to all of you.
Old 05-25-2015, 10:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, headless--I hope you find what you're looking for here. There is a lot of wisdom, support and education to be found on this forum. Spending some time reading thru as much as you can will help you understand more about alcoholism and what your role is, regarding your brother. Don't miss the stickies at the top of the page. There is a lot of worthwhile info there.

You also might want to check out this new section of the forum that focuses specifically on those who have a relative (parent, sibling, etc.) who is an A. Here's the link: NEW! Family Members of Addicts and Alcoholics - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

Again, welcome, and I hope you keep coming back to read and post. Your brother is fortunate to have such a concerned and compassionate sister.
Old 05-25-2015, 01:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome -- I'm glad you're here. If your brother's drinking is affecting his life the way you describe, I would be concerned, too.

This is a good place to learn and vent your frustrations and ask questions -- and share what you learn in turn.