Anger Stage

Old 05-29-2015, 05:21 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Things are looking up again. It's been two weeks since I last heard anything from her. Going to counseling and the recovery groups are helping. It's easier to focus on myself when she's not given a chance to hurt me. I hope it stays this way, but it's still a roller coaster.
Old 05-29-2015, 10:29 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Good to hear! We gain a healthier perspective and more peace a little each day! Hang in there!
Old 05-29-2015, 11:06 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

So glad to hear that you are doing better! I know how difficult it is to get through leaving a relationship due to alcohol. It sounds like you are stronger and able to put things in more of a healthy perspective. I'm really happy for your progress.
Old 05-29-2015, 11:13 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

So happy to hear you got out of there before you married her. You definitely dodged a bullet.

Break-ups are always a roller coaster of emotions. But as you sort through the anger, sadness, confusion, etc. you will finally start to feel real happiness, joy, and freedom. And you'll be so thankful you got out of this relationship. It sounds like it would have been a horrible, painful life.
Old 05-30-2015, 02:25 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KristyCat View Post
So happy to hear you got out of there before you married her. You definitely dodged a bullet.

Break-ups are always a roller coaster of emotions. But as you sort through the anger, sadness, confusion, etc. you will finally start to feel real happiness, joy, and freedom. And you'll be so thankful you got out of this relationship. It sounds like it would have been a horrible, painful life.
Yeah, I saw where it was going. With how fast she was falling, it would not have been long before she got arrested for dealing drugs, a DUI, or died from using or a load of other problems caused by drugs and alcohol.

My youth pastor that I've started talking to said, "You didn't just dodge a bullet. You dodged a mortar round."

Getting out was the hardest thing that I had to do, but it would have been much harder if I had to bury her, face her family after that, watched her go to jail, or wound up in the grave or in jail with her.

I also just want to say that I'm starting to heal a lot better now that I've completely cut off communication with her and her entire family. The family was trying to draw me back, and there are also several alcoholics in her family that are just like her.

Lastly, I'm happy to say that I haven't had a drink myself in over a month. I've had to realize that I sometimes drank to deal with the hurt she was causing me or to "fit in" with her and her drunk friends. Maybe someday I'll be able to have one drink responsibly, since I've been able to do so in the past, but for now, I won't have another drop. I'm not going to use her coping mechanisms.
Old 05-30-2015, 02:31 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by noinsanity2423 View Post
Yeah, I saw where it was going. With how fast she was falling, it would not have been long before she got arrested for dealing drugs, a DUI, or died from using or a load of other problems caused by drugs and alcohol.

My youth pastor that I've started talking to said, "You didn't just dodge a bullet. You dodged a mortar round."

Getting out was the hardest thing that I had to do, but it would have been much harder if I had to bury her, face her family after that, watched her go to jail, or wound up in the grave or in jail with her.
You have a lot of wisdom now, friend.
As I told you in my PM, my breakup after 14 years has been incredibly hard. I think the point of AlAnon is to help us fix the reasons why we choose addicts in the first place. I am still in the stage where I realize my brokenness in that regard.
Best wishes!
Old 06-03-2015, 01:19 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Letting go is so hard some days, and it's so easy on others. Literally, yesterday, I hated her so much. She was someone that took my love and kindness for granted to do whatever she wanted. She ran my life into the ground, and acted like our relationship wasn't important enough to protect because she just wanted to go out and get drunk with her single friends. SHE made a decision to get drunk with her friend and wound up kissing another guy. No matter how you look at it, even though it was technically on the cheek, he had to shove her off. She was going after more. SHE made a decision to lock herself in the bathroom with a lesbian with me standing awkwardly in the living room, having protested and tried to get her out. SHE made a decision to make out with said lesbian not even one month after we talked about how it made me uncomfortable, and she broke her promise never to go there again. By doing all these things, SHE broke her promise to be faithful to me that she made when I asked her to marry me. SHE made a decision to get so drunk at the lesbian's that I had to go get her at 3AM and push her up the stairs as she stumbled everywhere. SHE made a decision to provoke her Dad into pulling the gun. SHE made a choice to stop working and smoked pot all day. SHE made a choice to get defensive when I talked to her about jobs, and SHE chose not to help ME.

I made a decision to keep throwing water out of the sinking boat, forgiving, and repeatedly getting hurt until I couldn't live that way anymore. I made a decision to get out.

It helps to write it out.

Today, I miss her and wish that it didn't have to end the way it did. Logic tells me that getting out was the best and only option, but the crazy part of me still wants to believe that how we felt about one another was true love. Rationally, though, if she really loved me, she would not have done those things, or rather, she would have at least chosen to listen to me and given them up when I asked her to instead of blaming me for leaving and admitting to nothing. If she loved me more than the liquor, she would have chosen to give it up for me. She would have seen how it was hurting me, and she would have given it up without even my asking. There are some days where I just have to remind myself of all the pain she put me through and how much worse it was going to get to keep myself from trying to "fix" things like I did before.

I hate that the rational part of my brain conflicts with how I feel some days. I wish they would agree more often. This sucks so much sometimes.
Old 06-03-2015, 03:28 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

All of what you are feeling is the normal struggle most of us go through with leaving our A's or them leaving us. I try very hard to remain in the reality of the situation. Because the what ifs just seem to prolong the hurt and prevent the healing. Work on your codependency and become healthy in your thinking and you will have the relationship you want with someone healthy. And it will be the kind of relationship that you describe but never would have had with your XAGF. You are on the right track to becoming whole and healed. It just basically is awful that is Codies have to go through so much pain. But most of the pain is self inflicted by being unhealthy in our thinking.
Old 06-03-2015, 01:57 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Noinsanity, sending you lots of support on your rollercoaster! Again, I am there right with you! And your right, in the beginning there is no congruency between what our brains tell us and how are heart feels. It sucks! For whatever reason, I feel like after a few months of NC, I am back feeling hurt, angry, and sad too!

Sometimes when I get in this rut, I try to simplify and be more objective and let the brain take over. Its plain and simple......We both fell for alcoholics and dating them has hurt us and will always hurt as as long as we stay! I don't want a lifelong of that pain....2 years was enough for me!!

Wishing you peace and hugs!
Old 06-03-2015, 04:22 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by searching peace View Post
All of what you are feeling is the normal struggle most of us go through with leaving our A's or them leaving us. I try very hard to remain in the reality of the situation. Because the what ifs just seem to prolong the hurt and prevent the healing. Work on your codependency and become healthy in your thinking and you will have the relationship you want with someone healthy. And it will be the kind of relationship that you describe but never would have had with your XAGF. You are on the right track to becoming whole and healed. It just basically is awful that is Codies have to go through so much pain. But most of the pain is self inflicted by being unhealthy in our thinking.
Yeah. I never would have had a good relationship with her, as she was sabotaging it at every turn. A good relationship was impossible.
Old 06-03-2015, 04:23 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Slothy View Post
Noinsanity, sending you lots of support on your rollercoaster! Again, I am there right with you! And your right, in the beginning there is no congruency between what our brains tell us and how are heart feels. It sucks! For whatever reason, I feel like after a few months of NC, I am back feeling hurt, angry, and sad too!

Sometimes when I get in this rut, I try to simplify and be more objective and let the brain take over. Its plain and simple......We both fell for alcoholics and dating them has hurt us and will always hurt as as long as we stay! I don't want a lifelong of that pain....2 years was enough for me!!

Wishing you peace and hugs!
Two years was enough for me, too. Honestly, it was more than enough.
Old 06-03-2015, 04:44 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Idk Noinsanity.... I don't think it's necessarily that the alcoholic doesn't love or have feelings.... I think they feel it. And then they numb it all out with alcohol... inevitably worsening their pain as time goes on they continue to drink.

"A normal person might quit a certain behavior if they really did love you....." I just don't see it that way. I do however believe that the need to have a drink is just way more important..... I have read countless posts from alcoholics about all the shame and guilt they feel for having done things to those who love them. Others can't even remember because they were in a black-out drunken stupor. The fact is, the active alcoholic cannot see any of it for what it really is, and quite frankly, they don't want to. The truth is scary. It would mean they actually have to deal with themselves and all the creepy emotions they feel.

Anyway, all this means is that you don't have to take it personally. It IS terribly frustrating! But again, all we can do is choose how to remove ourselves from the behaviors of others that we have no control over.

And, I miss my xabf most days as well. It is a funny thing dealing with an addict... we have all sorts of jumbled memories from the best ever to the most horrific ever. And somehow, we either sit and idealize them and deny, or we get upset and over-react, and never really seem to land somewhere in the middle where reality is reality....
Old 06-07-2015, 02:01 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LemonGirl View Post
Idk Noinsanity.... I don't think it's necessarily that the alcoholic doesn't love or have feelings.... I think they feel it. And then they numb it all out with alcohol... inevitably worsening their pain as time goes on they continue to drink.

"A normal person might quit a certain behavior if they really did love you....." I just don't see it that way. I do however believe that the need to have a drink is just way more important..... I have read countless posts from alcoholics about all the shame and guilt they feel for having done things to those who love them. Others can't even remember because they were in a black-out drunken stupor. The fact is, the active alcoholic cannot see any of it for what it really is, and quite frankly, they don't want to. The truth is scary. It would mean they actually have to deal with themselves and all the creepy emotions they feel.

Anyway, all this means is that you don't have to take it personally. It IS terribly frustrating! But again, all we can do is choose how to remove ourselves from the behaviors of others that we have no control over.

And, I miss my xabf most days as well. It is a funny thing dealing with an addict... we have all sorts of jumbled memories from the best ever to the most horrific ever. And somehow, we either sit and idealize them and deny, or we get upset and over-react, and never really seem to land somewhere in the middle where reality is reality....
True that. Maybe it is the need to drink that just overrides everything else, but at the same time, she could have chosen at any point to get help with that need. At the end of the day, she's still responsible for her choice to drink and not get help. I can get that she doesn't have the capacity to see beyond the alcohol, but that doesn't take away her responsibility for her choice to keep drinking. She's had plenty of chances to get better, and I explained it every way I could. She doesn't have the ability to let it go. Until she admits that it's a problem she can't solve on her own, she will keep repeating the cycle.

Anyway, something interesting happened today. It's been easier letting go of my ex and realizing that none of her behavior was about me. Yes, it hurt me, but it wasn't done with the goal of hurting me. Hurting me was a side effect of her need to satisfy her addiction. Yes, it hurt when she locked me out of the bathroom while she was in there drunk with the lesbian. Yes, it hurt to go get her at 3 in the morning and find her locked in the bedroom with the lesbian. Yes, it hurt me to find out that she tried to make out with a guy while drunk. Yes, it really hurt me when she provoked her Dad into pulling a gun during that drunken heated argument. Truth be told, all of that hurt, but she didn't do it to hurt me. In fact, I don't think she even thought about me while she was doing it. The only thing she could see was her need to satisfy her addiction while she was drunk. It seems to me that she uses the alcohol and being drunk as an excuse to act out sexually. Given her history of sexual abuse by her dad, the fact that she felt abandoned when he kicked her mom and family out to move in another woman, and the fact that she told me she went crazy acting out (drugs, alcohol, sex with multiple partners while drunk) before she met me because of her anger towards him, that seems to make the most sense.

Aside from trying to explain my XA fiance, I recently connected with her brother's ex girlfriend. This girl had been made out to be the villian, both by my XA fiance and her brother. I was told a completely different version of events, and upon asking this girl, I understood now why she left. In fact, she left for the same reasons that I did. I know that my fiance's brother is an alcoholic, and I found it odd that they seemed so similar to me. They always seemed to take each other's side and anyone that spoke out against the drinking or their behavior was made out to be the villian. Anyway, it was really validating to reconnect with his ex girlfriend and find out that my ex is just like her brother. She told me that both of them choose to drink, but they just don't see how their drinking hurts people. Now it all makes sense, and I can just see how being with her completely warped my view of everything.

I'm never going to let someone define what rational behavior, love, right, wrong, or who others are to me. I will never let someone define how I should feel or act. Most importantly, I will never let anyone tell me who I am ever again. Every day, I get another revelation of why leaving was my only choice.

I think I can forgive her and move on. I really hope that someday she chooses to get better, before it's too late. I won't stay angry at her forever because I don't think she deserves the power to change who I am. I can accept that she did the best she could, even though it was harmful to me, and that she couldn't do better because she didn't know any other way. I can accept that everything that she does, she does to herself. It's not to hurt me or cause me pain. It's to mask her own pain, even though the behavior is destructive. It hurts seeing her go and knowing that she will eventually find another victim, but it's better than being the victim. I don't deserve to be with someone that hurts me instead of loving and appreciating me.

When I completely move past this, I'm going to wait for someone that values themselves as much as me. I deserve someone that respects me, doesn't complicate my life, that I can trust, and that is mature enough to know how to behave when in a relationship. I deserve better.

Every day gets easier. I think about her less and less. I think I can move on if I keep trying.
Old 06-07-2015, 03:11 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Wow I just posted a loooong reply and it disappeared into the ether. Probably for the best.

The shorter (slightly) version is that our stories have a lot of overlap... I was also cheated on at a party that I was present at. And afterwards he broke up with me for getting angry. And also refused to call it cheating. And that's just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to terrible,mean behavior when drunk.

I took him back, and then he tells me he's leaving the country in a week and not coming back for months.

But I've been so beaten down by him for so long that I feel like no one will ever love me, that the relationship I want doesn't exist. He was extremely vocal about wanting to be in an open relationship, not always finding me attractive, who he wanted to sleep with, etc. He's got me to a place where I have this irrational belief that all men are like that.

So it's kind of like... intellectually I know that's wrong. But I was also deliberately single for a few years before meeting him, so I guess I couldn't shake that firm belief I had that the next relationship I had was going to be it. I was waiting for the big, life-changing relationship, and I chose him. It felt like it was at first. Even as it fell apart, I kept trying to make him The One even as he very literally was telling me he wasn't. So I let him destroy my self esteem over the course of the last couple years. I'm a shell of who I was when I met him. My life is a mess. I've relapsed again and again in my drinking after being sober for a long time prior to him. Every time I started feeling good in the relationship, he'd get drunk and do something awful.

So yeah. Angry doesn't even begin to describe how I feel right now. I am probably the angriest I've ever been in my life, and this is coming from someone who went through a bloody layoff from a company I loved. I know what from anger
Old 06-07-2015, 10:18 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I'm sorry that he did that to you. It still surprises me how many people share the same story after living with an alcoholic. My ex refused to call what she did cheating, too, even though it was clearly cheating. They like to minimize what happened and change how you remember things.

Yeah, I did that with her, too. I was single for 5 years before I met her, and I really, badly, wanted her to be the one and only. She couldn't measure up to it, and I stayed even though it was toxic. I think the most useful thing I've learned since starting recovery is that you can't change someone else, no matter how hard you try. They will always do what they want. They will change when it suits them.

It seems that your post got cut off, so I was hoping you'd reply to this with what you meant to say after, "I know what from anger."

Sorry to hear about your situation, and I just want to let you know, "This, too, shall pass."
Old 06-08-2015, 06:05 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Yes, you are right... everyone, including alcoholics, has a choice, everyday.
Old 06-25-2015, 01:03 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Two months and five days since I left her. Things are looking up. After not hearing from her for over a month, she dropped off my things on my front porch. I'm wondering if it was manipulative to see if I'm thinking about her or if she just thought that I would come back if she held onto my things. I returned her things within a week or two of us splitting up.

I've been keeping my distance, and after a lot of analysis and reconnecting with her brother's ex, I realize that everyone in the family has a sickness, whether it is alcoholism or codependency/enabling. Now I see why my sponsor said to cut ties to the whole family, and I'm grateful I did. Her brother's ex provided some insight into the family. Her brother is exactly the same. Her dad is exactly the same. It's a sick and twisted system, and I'm just glad to be out.

This could have been much worse if there had been marriage and kids involved. I still have my life ahead of me, and I have time to repair the damage that was done. I've closed the door. I can move on. There is hope for a better future without her alcoholism and abuse. I realize that I have value as a person. I don't need to let my life be defined as one in servitude to an alcoholic that cheats on me, does drugs, and verbally abuses or manipulates me. She doesn't get to define who I am. I define who I am, and I'm saying that I deserve better than the way she treated me. I'm not just some neutered coward, like she said I was. I'm more of a man than her dad ever was. I was man enough to walk away and break the secret to her family, so she would have a chance at getting help. I can choose differently, and I can be happier on my own or eventually with someone who loves me the right way.
Old 06-26-2015, 10:24 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Wow Noinsanity! That is an amazing and uplifting, inspirational update!! I am so happy for you!!! Will you please share your success and how you have arrived at such healthy thinking and outlook with the others of us on here that are still struggling and still stuck in our unhealthy thinking and actions. I know reading about how you have healed and the steps you took to become healthy again, will be inspirational and helpful to many of us. I think a lot of us get overwhelmed in the thinking that we are just as sick as our A with codependency, enabling etc. and the road to our own recovery seems daunting. But you seem to be proof that some of us are not as sick as some indications would have us believe. Some of us are as sick as we are led to believe and some of us even more sick. But your story is proof that for some healing is not as much of an undertaking as thought to be.

Again, so very thrilled for you in your success and future!
Old 06-30-2015, 05:35 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by searching peace View Post
Wow Noinsanity! That is an amazing and uplifting, inspirational update!! I am so happy for you!!! Will you please share your success and how you have arrived at such healthy thinking and outlook with the others of us on here that are still struggling and still stuck in our unhealthy thinking and actions. I know reading about how you have healed and the steps you took to become healthy again, will be inspirational and helpful to many of us. I think a lot of us get overwhelmed in the thinking that we are just as sick as our A with codependency, enabling etc. and the road to our own recovery seems daunting. But you seem to be proof that some of us are not as sick as some indications would have us believe. Some of us are as sick as we are led to believe and some of us even more sick. But your story is proof that for some healing is not as much of an undertaking as thought to be.

Again, so very thrilled for you in your success and future!
I don't want to pretend that I've got it perfect or that I'm no longer a codependent. I think the first step to healing from this is just recognizing that I will always be a codependent, and that's something that I will never be able to change. I will always have that tendency (accept the things I cannot change).

The only way to recover from codependency is to treat it like an addiction to anything else. To keep my head out of the sick thinking and that desire to go back to her in spite of all that happened, I've set up blocks to prevent myself from doing that (the courage to change the things I can). I blocked her and all her family from my phone, from Facebook, Skype, etc. I don't allow myself to have idle time. When the thinking starts, I think about something else. If it gets overwhelming, I talk to someone about it, usually my parents, my sponsor, here, or in a group. Sometimes I just have to leave my room and go to the gym or to see my parents. I lost about 20 lbs really quickly after leaving her, and most of it was water weight from stress, I think. Staying with her would have killed me.

I've also been seeing a professional counselor once a week, and she's helping me understand how domestic abuse works and how to recognize abusive personalities early on before this stuff happens. (The wisdom to know the difference.) She's helping me see how the things she did or said to me were not normal and how it all played into her little game of control over my mind and my life, even though she had no idea she was doing it. It's been a lot of hard work, but what keeps me going is just knowing that I can't afford to make this mistake again. I got out early and with little permanent consequences, but next time who knows what price I will have to pay. It could be my life.

There are still things that trigger me. I'll see something that reminds me of her, or drive by a place we used to go to, or sometimes a thought about her will return to my head. I still have that feeling of overwhelming sadness and anger at what she did. I still cry about it when I talk it out at meetings or with someone else. I know that I can't blame her for acting the way that she did and not even knowing she was hurting me. It's all she knew.

She loved me the best that she could, and she was fully convinced, even after we broke up, that she loved me more than anything (her letter stated that pretty clearly). However, just because she says she loves me, and just because she believes it 100%, does not mean that she actually loves me. The things that she did are not something that you do to someone you love. Love for her was more about how I could let her live a double life in secret from her family, protect her from the consequences of her addictions, do whatever it was that she wanted, make her feel good about herself, give her the affection and attention that her dad never gave her, and give her a sexual release. Love for her meant that she could say she finally had the good guy who would value her, be there for her, be faithful to her, and comfort her while she could engage in her addiction, treat me like an object, leave me to fend for myself with finances and emotional trauma, cheat on me with other people, and tell me how I should feel about what she did while she was drunk. It was a very selfish, narcissistic, and exploitative form of love. I don't think she ever truly loved me. She just needed me.

Just because it's not her fault she's sick, though, doesn't mean I have to let her destroy me. The little dog you love can catch rabies. It's not its fault for getting sick, but you have to lock it away or kill it, otherwise it will pass the death sentence to you.

I'd have to say, though, that the biggest help has been turning my addiction to her over to God. I made her my idol for two years, and I started to become like her as she dragged me into that lifestyle. I ask for help every day, and I think the only reason I've been able to heal from this at all is that God has given me the strength to do it. I've been attending Celebrate Recovery, too, which is a Christ-centered 12 step program. It's helped a lot to meet people who have gone through what I did, even if it was another addiction.

In summary, I think these are what have helped me the most:
  1. I admitted that I was powerless over my addiction to her, and that my life with her was completely out of control.
  2. I believed that God could give me the strength to return my mind to healthy thinking patterns.
  3. I decided to turn my life and my will over to God's care.
  4. I'm currently working on an extensive moral inventory of my life, including events that happened before I met her, to find the root of this addiction to her and how my other addictions led to an addiction to her.
  5. I've set up a support structure with a sponsor that I meet with weekly, and Celebrate Recovery meetings twice a week, so I can tell others where I've been slipping up. I tell God about my slip ups with her, too.
  6. I asked God to remove these things that are wrong with me that cause me to think about her in an unhealthy way.
  7. I asked God to take away my weaknesses that caused me to cave to her demands instead of having the strength to stand up for myself.
  8. I've started to list people that I harmed by giving her control of my life and also the people that I harmed with my other addictions.
  9. I have plans to make amends to people, but only if it won't hurt them or someone else. In that case, I'll write a letter that I won't send.
  10. I'm continuing to examine how I behave every day, sharing my thoughts about things with others, and admitting when I am wrong.
  11. I've been reading my Bible and praying every day, so that God can give me the strength to continue to live a better life without her or someone else like her.
  12. I post on these forums in the hopes that my story will encourage someone else, and I also help others by sharing my story with them at Celebrate Recovery or when an opportunity presents itself. I let others know that they are not alone, and that there is hope for a better life. I try to lead by example rather than by words.

I hope that this post helps someone out there who's hurting from someone that abused them the way I was abused.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:52 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by noinsanity2423 View Post
It's been a little over a month since I left my ex alcoholic, drug addict, sex addict, verbally abusive fiancé. The first few weeks were really hard, and I spent a lot of time crying over her, missing her, and trying every way I could to explain to her that she really hurt me and we could only be together if she quit and got help.

She chose to blame me for leaving, and insisted that I needed to stay to help her get better. She said I was wrong to leave, she doesn't have a problem, I lied to her family, that I'm a wicked person, and I should just let her believe that she will find someone who loves her for "how she is."

I'm so angry that she chose to get drunk despite knowing that she has cheated on people before. I'm so angry that she didn't choose to protect our relationship by putting herself in that situation.
I'm so mad that she cheated in front of me by locking herself in a bathroom with a lesbian while drunk as I stood outside knocking on the door. I'm so mad that she kissed that same girl on the mouth in front of me while drunk the next time she went over, even though she promised me she wouldn't go there again. I'm so mad that she told me it was weird to get mad at her for that, and that I had no reason to be jealous. I'm so mad that she told me it wasn't cheating. I'm so mad she kissed another guy that same night. I'm so mad she got drunk with her Dad and got him to pull out a gun as they argued with me there. I'm so mad she quit her job and stayed stoned all day while I paid the bills. I'm so mad for all the hurtful things she said to me whenever we argued about her drinking or how she was irrationally thinking that I didn't love her. I had to fight with her to convince her I loved her.

Most of all, I am so mad that despite her doing all that, she says that I'M at fault for leaving, and I ruined her life by telling her and her family everything in a letter that she did to me. I'm so mad that she calls me a liar for saying what she did to me.

Does anyone else feel this way after you leave? Sometimes, I still question if I should have stayed and tried to help her, but I know deep down that she never listened when I tried to talk to her about it. She got mad every time I confronted her. I remember her promises to never put me through X again, but it was always something else she put me through while drunk.

I have the full story in "I Left the Chaos," if anyone wants to read it.

Just let me know if it's normal to feel this angry and still question if leaving this girl I loved so much was really my only option.
Everything that I highlighted in bold from your post could have been written by me instead of by you. I'm 7 months in to my separation from my ex wife, and I still experience anger over what happened. If those feelings of anger come back later for you, it wouldn't be out of the ordinary.