Mum admitted to hospital

Old 05-14-2015, 02:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Mum admitted to hospital

So as the title says I was called this morning and told my Mum had been rushed to hospital vomiting blood and couldn't stop. I don't know how I feel at the moment a mixture of numbness and anger. They are currently carrying out various tests to find out what is going on. I'm trying to distance myself but the hospital keep ringing and telling me she is asking for me and what time the visiting hours are. How do you successfully distance yourself !? ARGHHHHHHHHH . Mum has telephoned , I don't have call I'd so answered and it was her asking me to take clothes in like nothing was wrong 😤😡
Old 05-14-2015, 02:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Maybe you need to let the hospital staff know you will be unavailable for awhile and go chill--she is being cared for and you need to look after you.

Believe me, I get this.
I went through many years of hospital runs with my own alcoholic chain-smoking mother.

You need to step back or you'll go batshite crazy. . .
Big hugs
Old 05-14-2015, 07:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Winter, if you're inclined you could drop the clothes off without seeing her. It's your choice.
She's obviously put you down for NoK, so think about whether you're willing to play that role. On one hand you're done with running after her, but on the other would you want to know if she's in her last days? (not saying that's the case right now).
Old 05-14-2015, 08:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Just wanted to say that I'm so sorry for what you're going through and you're not alone. My Mom was an invalid for the last twenty years of her life after having a stroke in her 40s. Luckily for everyone involved, she stopped drinking after the stroke (the stroke was at least partly caused by her drinking), so I was at least dealing with a sober invalid, but I did spend a lot of time in the hospital with her on and off and I know how completely draining it can be. If you need to back away from the phone and get your bearings as Hawkeye suggested, there is no shame in that! Hugs, Winter! Also, I love your handle. I'm a Game of Thrones fan, too!
Old 05-15-2015, 04:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Just sending you love and prayers!!!
Old 05-15-2015, 04:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hello winter! I'm so glad she is at least in a place where she can be helped right now. If you want to just drop her clothes off and not see her, that is certainly understandable! If you want to do nothing, that is certainly understandable, too! Especially if traveling to get her clothes and then take them to the hospital will take up a great deal of your day.

Please take good care of yourself!
Old 05-15-2015, 08:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Just sending you many hugs and lots of support no matter what you decide!

XXX
Old 05-18-2015, 02:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Big Thank you to all , just about to place new post xx