The Language of Letting Go, May 14

Old 05-13-2015, 11:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Language of Letting Go, May 14

May 14

You are reading from the book "The Language of Letting Go."

Honesty

Admitted to Higher Power, to ourselves, and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.
--Step Five of Al-Anon

Talking openly and honestly to another person about ourselves, in an attitude that reflects self-responsibility, is critical to recovery.

It's important to admit what we have done wrong to others and to ourselves. Verbalize our beliefs and our behaviors. Get our resentments and fears out in the open.

That's how we release our pain. That's how we release old beliefs and feelings. That's how we are set free. The more clear and specific we can be with our Higher Power, ourselves, and another person, the more quickly we will experience that freedom.

Step Five is an important part of the recovery process. For those of us who have learned to keep secrets from others and ourselves, it is not just a step. It is a leap toward becoming healthy.

Today I will remember that it's okay to talk about the issues that bother me. It is by sharing my issues that I will grow beyond them. I will also remember that it's okay to be selective about those in whom I confide. I can trust my instincts and choose someone who will not use my disclosures against me and who will give me healthy feedback.

©1990, Hazelden Foundation. All rights reserved.

free photo upload