he's in the ER...

Old 05-11-2015, 05:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

he's in the ER...

We had a friend stay over. Found out he had been secretly battling alcoholism for a couple years. Family n other friends done with him. He was not coherent last night. Woke up this morning open to doing rehab. We called all over searching for places since early morning, but where we live he has to get a referral then wait a few days to get admitted. By this afternoon he had enough waiting snuck out without us knowing. Found him in a few hours passed out. Had to call ER. Feel so guilty. Don't know what to do. Scared he may die. Any advice appreciated.
Old 05-11-2015, 06:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You did the right thing-one can die from alcohol poisoning. Being in the ER may expedite entrance into treatment. You acted as a good, caring friend.
Old 05-11-2015, 07:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

He can be transferred direct.y from the hospital to rehab. You did your best. Don't feel guilty at all (((hugs)))
Old 05-11-2015, 08:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Really? I hope so. We have young children so can't visit but my hubby is going to check on him soon. I feel so terrible. It's hard because you really can't control what they decide. Thanks for the encouraging words.
Old 05-11-2015, 08:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You did what you thought was right to keep your friend safe. Kudos for that!
Old 05-11-2015, 09:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Originally Posted by waat View Post
It's hard because you really can't control what they decide. Thanks for the encouraging words.
You've got it in one. You can't control it because he's an adult who made his own decisions. When he comes to, his main emotion will probably be remorse for putting you in this position.
Old 05-12-2015, 01:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

He stayed for about three hours and they discharged him. I'm so confused why they'd let him go so soon. He's prob drinking a ton by now. Ugh
Old 05-12-2015, 02:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I'm really sorry to hear about your friend, waat. I think you did a very kind thing by calling 911 when you found him unconscious. If your friend was coherent and asked to leave, there is nothing the hospital could have done. People are permitted to refuse treatment. I hope someday your friend will reach out for help for himself.

Please know that nothing that is happening to him is your fault. I know how hard it is to watch while someone we care for is so self-destructive.