Did I do wrong?

Old 05-10-2015, 01:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Did I do wrong?

So, my partner and I moved in together. He's been relapsing every month or so for a few weeks, which is different to how it used to be- every six months or so. I know that's progression, but it's still not how we hoped it would be after all the therapy and AA stuff he's been doing.

Anyway, this relapse was different because this time we were under the same roof (mine) with nowhere else to go.

After three days I decided to outline his options to him. He could continue to drink, that was his choice, but he could not do it at home. He could either stop of his own accord, go to rehab or, choosing to drink, go stay in a hotel. I put it gently and lovingly, explaining I loved him but shouldn't have to handle this in my home.

He took it strangely calmly. Usually he gets angry or apologetic. He was completely switched off. Simply got up, packed a bag and left without a word. Several hours later I text him to ask him to give me am idea of where he was staying. Only then did he let me know which hotel.

He chose to drink. He's not physically dependant yet. That sucked.

But did I do the wrong thing? I know a boundary is something I do, but of the two of us, he's the one who can afford the hotel, I cannot. And as it's his decision to drink, I figured it was up to him to either stop or go elsewhere.

Was this telling him what to do or drawing a line/boundary in the sand?
Old 05-10-2015, 01:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I would call it a boundary and give you props for holding your boundary line. 1-1/2 years ago you asked if you should wait around for him to get sober. So I take it you're still waiting? If so, how long are you willing to wait?
Old 05-10-2015, 01:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Refiner View Post
I would call it a boundary and give you props for holding your boundary line. 1-1/2 years ago you asked if you should wait around for him to get sober. So I take it you're still waiting? If so, how long are you willing to wait?
I decided that I was happy with him in my life. And I was. I could handle short relapses once or twice a year. Because the rest of the year was so wonderful. As long as he kept chasing sobriety. Now I am processing that the situation has changed. I haven't worked out what to do or when yet, but I am going to protect and sheild myself until I find the final line.
Old 05-10-2015, 01:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Monthly "relapses" aren't "relapses"--they are alcoholic drinking with brief "dry" spells. Lack of physical dependence in the sense of withdrawal symptoms doesn't mean very much.

Sorry you're dealing with this--pretty typical alcoholic progression.
Old 05-10-2015, 03:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You protected yourself from the impending disaster that you know is on the horizon. That can never be wrong. You made no demands and gave him a choice. He chose drink. You now know where you and the relationship stand in his hierarchy of values. He's safe in a hotel with his bottle. You're safe at home with your peace. Enjoy it, you are worthy of it.
Old 05-10-2015, 04:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
In search of myself

Originally Posted by shil2587 View Post
Several hours later I text him to ask him to give me am idea of where he was staying. Only then did he let me know which hotel.
He left without a word. Perhaps you should have considered letting him do what he needs to do. He could have contacted you if he wanted you to know where he was staying.

Why do you feel you needed an idea where he was staying? You drew a boundary, but it became somewhat ineffective when you checked on him to find out where he was. He is an adult; he can take care of himself.

LexieCat is 100% right; this is not sobriety at all. It's an alcoholic white-knuckling it on his own for awhile. I'm sorry you are going through this heartache, but I suggest you seriously consider no-contact.

That is a boundary that shows you are serious.
Old 05-10-2015, 06:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

After three days I decided to outline his options to him. He could continue to drink, that was his choice, but he could not do it at home. He could either stop of his own accord, go to rehab or, choosing to drink, go stay in a hotel. I put it gently and lovingly, explaining I loved him but shouldn't have to handle this in my home.

you gave him the option of staying and doing what you wanted him to do, or leaving and doing what he wanted to do.

Simply got up, packed a bag and left without a word.

he chose B.

and there ya have it.

He chose to drink. He's not physically dependant yet. That sucked

in order to protect his freedom to DRINK, he left his gf, his "home" in favor of whatever he has packed in a bag and a hotel. i'd say there is definitely some dependence there!?

when people show us who they are....BELIEVE THEM.