AH did not come home - DUI

Old 05-02-2015, 05:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AH did not come home - DUI

So it finally happened...my AH got a dui...he went out last night, I stayed home since my son has an early baseball game this morning. I was hurt he did not come home last night...then he called from jail.
I have never gone through this before...he has to go in front of judge this morning. He mentioned I have to got to a bailsbonds place...my heading is spinning.;..half of me just wants to leave him there...isn't that bad?
Advice please....my son has baseball game at 8:00 am cst then my other has one at 3:00 pm cst...and I thought I was going to have a relaxing Saturday. Okay...serenity prayer...breathe...
Old 05-02-2015, 05:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Can you get him after the games? He's not in a state penitentiary. Maybe coolin his heels will do him some good.
Old 05-02-2015, 05:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I told him I had the games and he said, "oh, that is so important"...yes, my boys are more important to me at this point...am I am enabling him if I do this? But, I am his wife...his brother is out of town...he doesn't have anyone else to do this...darn it...why did he have to put us in this situation....maybe this will make my decision easier to make...
Old 05-02-2015, 05:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You don't have to bail him out. It's your choice if you want to. A little "time out" cooling his heels might give him a chance to reflect. I know that whenever my ex spent a night in jail (his mom always bailed him out) he came home and would immediately start drinking again and be angrier than ever.
No need for his stupid, irresponsible decision to mess up your plans with the boys. Enjoy the baseball and the nice weather and the family time. Your husband did this to himself. It's not really your problem. It's his.
Old 05-02-2015, 05:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I am sorry to hear this! But...he did get himself into this pickle. If it were me, I would certainly not jump when he called and would spend the day as planned at the boys' games.

Enjoy the baseball!!
Old 05-02-2015, 05:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'd leave him there but that's just me--I'm not giving advice to do that but maybe it would send a message that he's about broken his plate with you and that your kids are the priority.
Old 05-02-2015, 05:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Just my experience but yes, I left RAH in jail when he relapsed & got a dui. The bondsman I spoke to informed me that as it was his 1st offense, they would likely let him bond out on his own recognizance at 1st appearance. He said by the time he even finished the forms& started the process he'd likely be headed to court already. He said, save your money, you're going to need it for the fines, etc.

I also fully believe he needed to face his consequences on his own the same way he made the choices that put him in that position. When he called& turned his anger on me, i hung up. ((((hugs))))
Old 05-02-2015, 05:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

^^^^This....they bonded my stepson out on his first arrest...crack possession. We had no involvement
Old 05-02-2015, 05:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

luckily this is my boys weekend with their dad..so they won't know anything is going on...maybe this will be a wake up call for him...thanks everyone...heading out to the first game...beautiful day here in Texas...thank you God I was not with him last night...thank you God for my beautiful boys..
Old 05-02-2015, 06:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Enjoy the games!
Old 05-02-2015, 06:03 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I agree with the others. He needs to face the consequences of his addiction and a week end in jail won't kill him. Also, it would not be fair to your sons.
Why should they be deprived of having you at their baseball game because your husband is a drunk who endangered public safety and could have hurt or killed someone?
Why not go to the game and have fun and use part of the money you would have spent on bail (it's like 10% out of pocket) to take the kids and their friends out for pizza?
Old 05-02-2015, 06:06 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

SadinTexas.....ladyscribbler makes a good point--I think. He will, undoubtedly drink more as soon as he is out.....(he will have a good excuse). He will not have any gratitude toward you---no matter what time schedule you go by. In fact, he will probably want you to join him in criticizing the "system" that put him (the poor victim) in this position.

I can't remember if the boys are his or not (sorry).. You have called them "my sons". His attitude sucks on this point. He should feel responsible for his ass getting them to their games, etc. (50%), at least---if they are your kids jointly.
If they are your boys from another relationship----he should understand that a mother's children's welfare does always come first!!.

SadinTexas....he is behaving like a typical alcoholic.....low tolerance for frustration, not accepting responsibility, self-centered to the max,----in short---much like a toddler.

Actually, whether you get him out or not.....this is what you will have to continue to live with...dayin/ dayout. Plus....a DUI always costs a pretty penny before it is over. And.....a lot of hassle......

Regardless of what you do...keep asking yourself the hard questions.....

dandylion
Old 05-02-2015, 06:10 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Sad.....sorry....I posted before I read your last post (about the kids).

dandylion
Old 05-02-2015, 06:29 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Glad to hear you decided to go to the game. He got himself into this mess. It's time to face the consequences. And it is damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario. If you bail him out, yes that's enabling. If you don't, you will be a monster and he will have someone to blame. But that is ok, they always blame someone else.

Just yesterday, I opened up to the landlady about my problems. She asked if he ever got a DUI, and I said no, unfortunately not. I told her I wanted him to get a DUI and sometimes even praying for it. Silly, huh? All I know is that I will not be bailing out mine if this ever happens.
Old 05-02-2015, 08:02 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Not advising you what to do, but I would not bail him out, and once he got out on his own, I wouldn't even pick his ass up and bring him home.
Old 05-02-2015, 03:29 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hiya SadTX, Prayed for you today. Deciding to hang tough is tough, and then there is the doing of it. It feels odd at first. I promise it gets easier.
Old 05-02-2015, 08:29 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

The last DUI my ex got sent him to rehab rather than jail. Should have been jail.
But the whole time I could hear him screaming at his mother " why didn't you do something?!" Poor baby spent 2 nights in county. His dad is a Federal agent and he feels that they could have pulled strings for him. Ungrateful to the last. Between him and his raving addict brother, they have lined the family attorneys pocket to well over 100k since the 90's. Add in the new cars, rents, credit cards and paying the brothers back child support to almost 10k its mind bending. Sometimes I think some of them should be dropped on an island and made to fend for themselves.
Old 05-03-2015, 11:27 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dandylion View Post
SadinTexas.....ladyscribbler makes a good point--I think. He will, undoubtedly drink more as soon as he is out.....(he will have a good excuse). He will not have any gratitude toward you---no matter what time schedule you go by. In fact, he will probably want you to join him in criticizing the "system" that put him (the poor victim) in this position.
As an ex-drunk (5.5 years sober) who had a dui 7 years ago, and now a Professional Bondsman who deals with this every single day, I can tell you that THIS is exactly what will happen...

Do not feel bad about not putting up his bail, or putting it up whenever YOU can/feel like it...

Hugs and peace to you and your kids...
Old 05-03-2015, 11:35 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

It's his crap-he can clean it up. Glad you had a great day with the kids!!!!
Old 05-03-2015, 05:46 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Duckygirl1 View Post
The last DUI my ex got sent him to rehab rather than jail. Should have been jail.
But the whole time I could hear him screaming at his mother " why didn't you do something?!" Poor baby spent 2 nights in county. His dad is a Federal agent and he feels that they could have pulled strings for him. Ungrateful to the last. Between him and his raving addict brother, they have lined the family attorneys pocket to well over 100k since the 90's. Add in the new cars, rents, credit cards and paying the brothers back child support to almost 10k its mind bending. Sometimes I think some of them should be dropped on an island and made to fend for themselves.
Saw and still see this scenario playing out. Not the same but the ungratefulness along with the expectation that family or friends will get them out of their trouble sums it up. Even enablers & advocates in the past won't or can't help him now(because they didn't pay back a 5 digit loan). He recently tried to shame us boasting how one of his richer friends has kept him "alive" with smart phone money & paying off some old debts. Yet other friends and family are housing and/or feeding him 7 days a week. And had given them plain old cell phoneS.

This DUI bailout vs game dilemma is only round one. Other decisions will have to be made for money for a lawyer, penalties and new insurance rates. As will transportation for court appearances & penalties(most states suspend a license yet mandate rehab, counseling or part time jail in which driving to is forbidden since the license won't be reinstated until completion of the sentence) as is something as simple as searching for a lawyer. I would let and/or force the AH to handle ALL the details of HIS dui. Here he whined, complained but found a lawyer and transportation to complete their sentence.