A light hearted thread

Old 04-29-2015, 05:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A light hearted thread

Some of us here have some really interesting names and avatars. I was just wondering how and why some of you chose yours. I was actually ducky girl way before I found you guys. I called my xabf my ducky boy because when he snored he made this cute little sound like a baby duck. He started calling me ducky girl. When I started reading and learned about "quacking" I decided to keep it though it had a whole new meaning now. How's about youse guys? (Sorry, went full on Brooklyn for a moment)
Old 04-29-2015, 05:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I chose Florence, because it kind of sounds like my real name. I needed something on the spot I could remember.
Old 04-29-2015, 05:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

In the beginning I chose Knowthetriggers because I knew that my sorry attitude and enabling could actually "trigger" my A.

However, over time I have realized that I need to know my OWN triggers.

Old 04-29-2015, 05:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

I chose feeling great after waking up without a hangover. The avatar was just a photo I took on holiday in the Stirling Ranges.
Old 04-29-2015, 09:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My sons' names start with the letter K... so does AH's. I guess it was the first thing that came to my mind, but I've wanted to change it to something more clever or pretty. You all know me as Kboys though, so I think I'll stick with it.
Old 04-29-2015, 09:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The handsome basset in my avatar is named Ned, but my embarrassing private "sweetie cuddle-boy" name for him is "honeypig."

I have never registered for any site or forum using that as my user name and gotten the "that name is in use, choose another" message!
Old 04-29-2015, 09:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I have always liked dandilions----even though they have been very maligned by lots of people. (Recently, by anvilhead,,,,on this very same forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!).
I never understood this......?

They are simple, and sweet and give us so much. They are a source of food and medicine over the hundreds of years. They are beautiful dots of butter yellow in our early summer lawns and fields. Their helicopters (see photo) have delighted generations of children.
They prevent erosion and give off oxygen.

I guess that my taking the "name" is my way of saying "thank you" and honoring this deserving little flower.

dandylion
Old 04-29-2015, 09:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I just gotta say.....I have always loved NED! I have known a lot of basset hounds....and, they are so sweet......

dandylion

(I feel like I have gotten to "know" him.....te he he!)
Old 04-29-2015, 09:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dandylion View Post
I just gotta say.....I have always loved NED! I have known a lot of basset hounds....and, they are so sweet......

dandylion

I second this! I love him
Old 04-29-2015, 09:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dandylion View Post
I have always liked dandilions----even though they have been very maligned by lots of people. (Recently, by anvilhead,,,,on this very same forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!).
I never understood this......?

They are simple, and sweet and give us so much. They are a source of food and medicine over the hundreds of years. They are beautiful dots of butter yellow in our early summer lawns and fields. Their helicopters (see photo) have delighted generations of children.
They prevent erosion and give off oxygen.

I guess that my taking the "name" is my way of saying "thank you" and honoring this deserving little flower.

dandylion
I don't care for the dandylions in my yard but I tell you, my 70 lb "puppy" does! He eats them - LOL
Old 04-29-2015, 09:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I got healthyagain because back then I was a healthy wannabe. Little did I know what the following years had in store for me.

And LOL, knowthytriggers, we share the same avatar! "Life goes on," I liked that one because I am ready to move on and embrace life. My second preference was the image of a wolf, but that one looked too aggressive, and I am full of optimism these days.
Old 04-29-2015, 09:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Buell Firebolt = one of my favorite motorcycles

Love this threat idea!
Old 04-29-2015, 10:09 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Mine is self explanatory and a positive affirmation for me. I am finally happy being me. No avatar cause I am computer stupid
Old 04-29-2015, 10:15 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I love these threads, I remember it coming up in the past:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ure-using.html

Here is my share from the older thread:

Originally Posted by FireSprite View Post
I made up FireSprite for myself when I joined this site because I wanted something all new that was about me, not RAH, & reflected my inner self somewhat, in a way that doesn't chain me to this battle with addiction. This is where I'm at but not necessarily who I am, kwim?

I am a red-haired Sagittarian & carry an unusual amount of Fire Signs in my Birth Chart, so it's the element that I identify with most easily on a core/basic level. Coupled with my Sicilian/German/Irish lineage & whoa boy, no wonder I have a strong personality, eh??

Sprites are another mythical form of fairies, impish & magical... which reminds me to be a kid again sometimes & let my Inner Child out to play.
I change my avatar whenever the mood strikes. I love the current one because the imagery resonates with me IRL - the chakra colors in motion, fluid energy, yoga, peace.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:43 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

When I had to choose a name, I figured my RAH would never think it was me if I picked a biblical name, so I choose Job. And since I was struggling with accepting that the term codependent applied to me, CodeJob seemed apt.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:52 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'm not sure this is lighthearted: I picked Theuncertainty because that is what was a constant in my relationship with AXH. I never knew if he'd be in a good mood or bad, had he stopped drinking, or was he just hiding it again, would we be able to pay the utilities or would we be struggling to make ends meet *this* month because he'd spent all of our income on whatever he was drinking/using again... The uncertainty surrounding him was all I saw.

ETA: My avatar is a snip from a Red Riding Hood inspired graphic a fellow SR member, PieRat, made for me. I identified with her dealing with the Big Bad Wolf in the forest, and with this graphic, she has a sword to save herself. (The rest of the graphic includes the following quote: No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path. - Buddha)
Old 04-29-2015, 01:05 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Mine's kind of stupid and is just what came to me top of mind. I came to this site to learn about alcoholism as I have friends and family who are A's, my A sister had just gone through a deal where she nearly died from drinking, I'm an ACOA, etc. and I thought I already know alot about it, but just want to refine my knowledge so I became "Refiner". Ha! I THOUGHT I knew a lot about it! ;-)
Old 04-29-2015, 01:10 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Carlotta was the name of my little pet rat: Mousey Carlotta Eeek.
I was trying to come up with a good monikers and here she was, napping on my laps.

My avatar is because I love the character of Grumpy Cat. She is the anti codie and has boundaries of steel (and she is cute too LOL)
Old 04-29-2015, 01:27 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

My user name is pretty simple, I live in Florida and I try to remain hopeful. Hopeful for myself, Rah, and all of you here on SR.

I'm in the art biz, and my avatar is a spoof on Edvard Munch's The Scream. It sums up my state of mind the night I joined SR! It remains a good reminder of where I've been and how far I've come.
Old 04-29-2015, 01:28 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

When I joined SR, I had very recently moved up to Milwaukee, Wisconsin from the Chicago area (after bouncing around the midwest for many years). When I first found the Internet in the 90s, my initial "handle" was always a combination of my first name and the state I was in. So when I came here, I left off my first name, and just used the state.

I'm glad I chose it--I have come to really love this place, and it feels more like home than any place I have lived since high school.