A light hearted thread

Old 04-29-2015, 01:29 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

And Carlotta, our last of three wonderful ratties crossed the rainbow bridge last month. The kids were heartbroken. We still have two dogs, a hedgehog, and a betta fish, though...
Old 04-29-2015, 01:37 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

@ Wisconsin They are wonderful pets, it is such a shame that their life expectancy is so short. I miss my Carlotta, she thought she was a dog. I had to learn to do the "mousey shuffle" because she would follow me around all the times and I was scared to step on her.
Old 04-29-2015, 01:49 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HopefulinFLA View Post
I'm in the art biz, and my avatar is a spoof on Edvard Munch's The Scream. It sums up my state of mind the night I joined SR! It remains a good reminder of where I've been and how far I've come.
That is one of my favorite paintings & I'm a Simpsons Junkie so your avatar has always struck a chord for me. I giggle just a *little bit* every time I see it.
Old 04-29-2015, 03:08 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Yup, I'll repeat mine from the previous thread, too (it's my story and I'm sticking to it):
I've used "Lexie" as my nom de web for years, ever since the last ex stalked me on a couple of other forums where I used to post under another name. "Lexie" is significant for a couple of reasons--"lex" refers both to the law and to words. I've been a lawyer most of my adult life, and have always loved to write, and have had to do a LOT of it in my career.

When I adopted my cat, I named her "Lexie" after my alter ego. "Lexie" as a user name was taken, so I added the Cat.
My avatar, btw, is a blend of a couple of books that helped me in early sobriety. "One Breath At A Time," by Kevin Griffin (12 Steps through a Buddhist lens) and the cover of "The 12-Step Buddhist," by Darren Littlejohn. I'm sure I violated a couple of copyright laws by mashing them up, but it's intended as a tribute. I'm not a practicing Buddhist, but I find much of the Buddhist philosophy speaks to me in a very meaningful way. I friend of mine who preceded me into sobriety by a few months used to post excerpts from "One Breath At A Time" on a forum where we both posted. He happens to BE Buddhist, and his sobriety was a huge inspiration to me when I followed in his footsteps.

I got to meet Kevin Griffin in Philadelphia, where he was speaking at the Shambhala Center. Very cool guy. I highly recommend both books to anyone in recovery who considers him/herself an atheist or agnostic. You do NOT have to believe in a Deity to benefit from AA or other 12-Step programs.
Old 04-29-2015, 03:37 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I chose illo after a conversation with an old friend some 25 years ago. We debated whether if you take the armour from an armadillo, does it become an unarmoured-illo, or is that just an illo?

It seem appropriate for me, and for this. Hard on the outside, and soft and a bit vulnerable without the armour.
Old 04-29-2015, 04:54 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I used Yurt as my username because I lived in one with my XAH for two years. I wanted one for so long in the worst way, but when I moved out, I was much happier. Too much drama with an A in any dwelling. Besides, there were no corners to hide in.
Now, I am still thinking about changing my name...I wonder if "Bungalow" is taken...

The avatar was a paint image that I threw together a few years back. Underneath, it said: Yurt owners are well rounded.
Old 04-29-2015, 05:57 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Red (hair) Atlanta (where I live)

I have tried to upload an avatar and it fails everytime. I will try again now.
Old 04-29-2015, 06:03 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I'm maybear because my daughter's birthday is in May and she is as cute as a little bear.
The picture is a view from my deck, on a particularly beautiful afternoon.
Old 04-29-2015, 06:13 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Holy crap it worked.

That's a guy I body painted for a photo shoot. Kinda tells what I do for a living although I don't do that often. I like it because some people are tricked when they first look at it and think its a woman.
Old 04-29-2015, 06:33 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by redatlanta View Post
Holy crap it worked.

That's a guy I body painted for a photo shoot. Kinda tells what I do for a living although I don't do that often. I like it because some people are tricked when they first look at it and think its a woman.
Nice work!!
Old 04-29-2015, 07:02 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Long time ago I stumbled into this place and chose the name Hopeworks... as in Faith and Hope and of course our amazing "love" was sure to be the magic formula for happily ever after (after all we were the "unique couple" or so I "hoped"!

LOL...4 years has passed since I permanently curbed my XA and now hope works for me ... time is such a healer and brings so much wisdom in hindsight.

I thought about changing it but now I keep it to remind me of those early days of raging codiecrazy.
Old 04-29-2015, 08:32 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Location: My mind wanders a lot, but I try to stay in the present.
I picked SeriousKarma because I realized that while I was sitting around waiting for that big 'ol bus to hit him, I was forgetting to live my life. For all I knew there could be a bus barreling down on me. To h*ll with his karma, I needed to get serious about my own.

My avatar is St Dymphna, the patron saint of those with mental or emotional disorders. She was my constant companion through many a sleepless night. Kind of like a BFF.
Old 04-30-2015, 04:35 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by healthyagain View Post
I got healthyagain because back then I was a healthy wannabe. Little did I know what the following years had in store for me.

And LOL, knowthytriggers, we share the same avatar! "Life goes on," I liked that one because I am ready to move on and embrace life. My second preference was the image of a wolf, but that one looked too aggressive, and I am full of optimism these days.
It's all good - I don't mind having the same Avatar , besides we are all "related" somehow aren't we, sorta like a little family
Old 04-30-2015, 07:58 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I'll copy the same response from the first thread.

I chose Thumper because the first 4,972 names I entered were already in use i was running out of ideas, lol. Thumper is a fine rabbit and apparently under appreciated because there wasn't one other Thumper at SR.

I change my avatar every so often. They have no particular meaning.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:51 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Similar to others... this is my post from the past about my name.

I chose my name based on "My Girl... Gracie"... she is a 75 pound, black and tan, Doberman(Dobergirl) who thinks she is a lap-dog! She is the light of my life and she makes me smile every day! As for the Avatar, (if it shows up when I post), it is the first blossom on my little Crape Myrtle tree... I thought it died over the winter and when it started growing and blooming it just made my Spring... I kept thinking that I was glad that I "didn't give up".

Well... that was several years ago and my girl has crossed the Rainbow Bridge. I miss her and still cannot bring myself to change my screen name.
Old 04-30-2015, 10:20 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

My name has nothing special about it. I'm a girl and I live in the country. That's about the best I could come up with when I joined this site (drunk). My avatar is always special. It used to be my dog because I was drunk and he was laying there upside down. Now I use Native American symbols or birds of prey. I was raised with indian philosophies and ways (moms side is choctaw) and the raptors are my lifeline. When I started this stretch of sobriety I donated my birthday beer money to a raptor center and found myself on my knees to an eagle (represents higher power for me) praying for hope, strength and sobriety. I now volunteer there and am going to school to study them.

Jennifer
Old 04-30-2015, 10:20 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

So.. It was about a few days ago when someone reminded me that Red Dog was an IPA beer... Ironic or not. My exabf used to drink angry dog haha!

Anyway, that is not why I chose my name. I used to have a white poodle some years ago that I would occasionally dye red with fruit punch. He was so cute and he loved to bathe in a bathtub full of fruit punch!!

During the crisis of stumbling upon this site, my poodle came to mind- and I've been red dog since
Old 04-30-2015, 12:07 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Sun Girl, just cause I love a good sunny day.
When you live in WI you learn to appreciate them.

My avatar are my beautiful daughter. Jade is one the left. Amber in the pink dress.

Amber has a love of photography and she is always out and about in our hometown in western WI taking beautiful pictures. She used her tripod and you may not be able to tell but they are making a heart with their hands outstretched.
Old 05-02-2015, 03:33 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I am a sun lover too hence the name suncatcher. When I feel depressed my soul feels gloomy and sad. I was feeling gloomy and sad when I found SR. I wanted my soul to feel sunny and happy again. I've always loved sun catchers too. My mom has them in her windows and the sun shines through the transparent colored glass like rays of hope. I was looking for a ray of hope when I found this site. These days my soul does feel sunny and happy thanks to the wealth of good support here. Love this thread and all the stories behind the names and avatars.