show intervention

Old 04-28-2015, 10:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

show intervention

I was watching tv tonight, and came across that show "Intervention." It was an episode of a mother who was an alcoholic, and through an intervention chose treatment. The most amazing thing about this show, which never ceases to amaze me, is how the person looks 3 months into recovery. Physically.

It almost makes me think that drugs and drinking literally suck the soul out of people. Like the devil at work. Some satanic force. It is mind-blowing how there is a glow, a life, and a spirit that is so vibrant and visible months later when they interview the addict who has accepted recovery. I was so amazed I said wow, out loud to myself in my living room, and I truly am shocked all over again every time I see that recovery really does change that person back into the soul their loved ones always loved. And even more so, to see the recovered person realize their wrong doings and the pain they caused their loved ones, is mind blowing. To see them really get it, with deep remorse.

Just wanted to share that. It is the light at the end of the tunnel. The person isn't lost forever it seems.
Old 04-29-2015, 04:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Definitely felt like I saw satan himself in my H's yellow, bloodshot eyes more than once, Bird. I too was amazed at what 20+ days of inpatient rehab could clean and serve up with RAH. Seeing him well was possibly one of the most blessed things about attending family program.

To this day I still watch him eat food with a bit of amazement.
Old 04-29-2015, 04:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I remember a time when my ex and I were on the outs and he had gone out and gotten wasted. I passed him in the hallway of our building and the look he gave me was of blind hatred! I told his mother that it was like looking into the eyes of a demon, like he wasn't even in there anymore.

My wasn't evil like that, just in a constant fog and sad. When she got out of her 30 day program I thought, "there she is!" I hadn't seen my lil muffin girl in years! It's amazing! She was a smiling, laughing goof ball again! It took much longer after that for her to settle back into life, but she's never looked back thank God!
Old 04-29-2015, 04:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It almost makes me think that drugs and drinking literally suck the soul out of people.

It does, for everyone involved, the addict and his/her codependents.
Old 04-29-2015, 05:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bird13 View Post

It almost makes me think that drugs and drinking literally suck the soul out of people.

Like the devil at work.

Some satanic force.
Yes, I agree
In the El Cajon, Calif. court house they have arrest pictures of drunks and addicts. You can see the fast downhill progression of the disease. Some in only 5 years out there running hard look as if they have aged 15 to 20 years. It's a rough life for the one out there running with the devil.

For the devil wishes to seek and destroy.

MM