Not covering anymore!

Old 04-23-2015, 06:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Not covering anymore!

I was thinking about a thread that was addressing how addicts can sometimes be threatened by us getting better and just when we think we are making progress they become worse or up and leave. The addict of course has to protect their behavior so of course shining any light makes them run.

This ability to "shine light" protect ourselves, find a voice and call people out on their crap has ramifications in all parts of life. I just spent at least an hour on the phone recently in a 4 way conference call discussing what should have been a great business opportunity. One of the principals was just not up to snuff. He had been dishonest, manipulative, disorganized, short-cutty, tried to keep people at different levels of information and was always full of excuses. He received a large sum of money that he was supposed to pay salaries with, but didn't. Still don't know where all of that money went.

After receiving a text that basically wanted me and another to cover his butt with the fourth party, I said enough. I told the fourth party, who was the major investor,exactly what was going on. Well, the volcano erupted and the deal is off. Of course I'm the bad one! Can't trust her with info! No, if that info is going to hurt me, drag me down, set me back, manipulate or try and entrap me or others, no you bloody well can't because I'm going to get on my roof and have a lovely little shout about it!

I'm done being lied to, manipulated, scammed, used, picked on or whatever you name it! I will not lie or cover up for people who can't just come clean! After ducky boy, his enabling mom, my drunken boss who I left my coke head boss for, I AM DONE! How much time did I spend covering, consoling, supporting running around like a madwoman for years only to my own hurt? No more! Because guess what ladies and germs, when the lie comes to light and it will, your ship will start to sink with theirs and they will give no F!
Old 04-23-2015, 07:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I will never ever forget the freedom that came when I stopped covering for my X. It was a very very big part of when I began true healing for myself.
Old 04-23-2015, 08:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

We get sick with their secrets!
Old 04-23-2015, 08:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You are absolutely right. When I opened up and stopped keeping his secrets, it gave me a support system to help ME, which I really needed.

XXX
Old 04-23-2015, 09:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I agree! It's so freeing - and finding out that people believe me was amazing. Now anytime the anxiety about his crap builds, I spill it all out to a couple of friends and I feel much better. And when the A is so deceptive, it feels good to know that others are now aware of their lies too - they don't feel like such a web wrapped around you anymore.
Old 04-23-2015, 09:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That's very refreshing to hear and must feel great! Congrats to have that burden lifted!
Old 04-23-2015, 09:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good for you. Not to be a crabby patty but this goes two ways as well. Part of recovery for many "A's" is also learning how to stand our ground. I can't tell you how many people in my women's recovery group have had "failure to set boundaries" as a drinking trigger. Get exhausted, give in to things, and then turn to the bottle for solace. Without that standby we are forced to change certain patterns within ourselves. This "boundaries" thing seems to be a human issue not just an issue with alcohol or friends and family.

Peace,
Old 04-23-2015, 10:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Nice job on putting down this heavy load. It is not yours to have to carry.
Old 04-23-2015, 10:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

*HIGHFIVE

It feels so good when all this work and knowledge starts spreading across our whole lives and relationships!
Old 04-23-2015, 11:08 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good job, duckygirl!
Old 04-24-2015, 02:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

ducky, I hope you attract people with a similar outlook to your side. You can get a lot done with the right allies.
Old 04-24-2015, 02:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lucybb View Post
I agree! It's so freeing - and finding out that people believe me was amazing. Now anytime the anxiety about his crap builds, I spill it all out to a couple of friends and I feel much better. And when the A is so deceptive, it feels good to know that others are now aware of their lies too - they don't feel like such a web wrapped around you anymore.
I wish his family believe me. And they don't so whatever!

My friends and Mum believe and support me so... Plus the people at Al Anon.

It's hard when others don't see it though because he is deceptive. And goodness knows what he has told others about me in order to protect the addiction.
Old 04-25-2015, 07:47 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Very good to hear and read!!! Good for you!!! I dont cover for my guy but i darn sure have the freedom YET that you wrote about!!! I will soon ...