The Language of Letting Go, April 22

Old 04-21-2015, 11:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Language of Letting Go, April 22

April 22

You are reading from the book "The Language of Letting Go."

Coping With Stress

Inevitably, there are times of stress in our lives, no matter how long we've been in recovery.

Sometimes the stress is outside or around us. We're feeling balanced, but our circumstances are stressful. Sometimes the stress is within; we feel out of balance.

When the stress is external and internal, we experience our most difficult times.

During stressful times, we can rely more heavily on our support systems. Our friends and groups can help us feel more balanced and peaceful in spite of our stressful conditions.

Affirming that the events taking place are a temporarily uncomfortable part of a good, solid plan can help. We can assure ourselves that we will get through. We won't be destroyed. We won't crumple or go under.

It helps to go back to the basics to focus on detachment, dealing with feelings, and taking life one day at a time.

Our most important focus during times of stress is taking care of ourselves. We are better able to cope with the most irregular circumstances; we are better able to be there for others if we're caring for ourselves. We can ask ourselves regularly: What do we need to do to take care of ourselves? What might help us feel better or more comfortable?

Self-care may not come as easily during times of stress. Self-neglect may feel more comfortable. But taking care of us always works.

Today, I will remember that there is no situation that can't be benefited by taking care of myself.

©1990, Hazelden Foundation. All rights reserved.

Old 04-22-2015, 04:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by honeypig View Post
[
Self-care may not come as easily during times of stress. Self-neglect may feel more comfortable. But taking care of us always works.

©1990, Hazelden Foundation. All rights reserved.

I could not agree more with this statement. I find that keeping myself healthy and busy with life helps me get thru those stressful times.