So easy to go off on a tear...

Old 04-17-2015, 06:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A work in progress

So easy to go off on a tear...

I have some pretty bad dental problems (periodontal--I'm a lousy patient and have been living with this my whole life and every now and then I get tired of all the dental stuff and let it "go"--which is never a good thing because the problems return) and am trying to get back on top of it. It's pricy, but I have insurance and can now afford to pay what that doesn't cover.

I was in recently for an expensive procedure. Today, I got an email telling me they were only paying part of the claim because my periodontist isn't participating in their network. I called the insurance company and said this was a mistake, he's in the same practice with the in-network whose claim they did pay. They insisted that in group practices some dentists participate and some do not.

I ranted about how I'd never heard of such a thing, I would be changing insurance carriers, it was ridiculous to have to check to see if the particular dentist in a group practice seeing you that day had different coverage, etc.

Still hot under the collar I called the dentist's office. The woman I spoke with insisted he IS in the network. So anyway it sounds like someone got their info wrong and I won't have to switch dentists (I like this perio--he's a nice guy, and good, so that's HUGE). Hopefully it will all be straightened out by next week.

But I can still feel the adrenalin from my outrage. LOL, so easy to go off on a tear with future-tripping. I was already racing through my mind about how I could find someone else new, that I trusted, that I was finally getting this done and why does it have to be so difficult, yadayada.

Sheesh. Cooling jets.
Old 04-17-2015, 07:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I had the same problem with AH d&a eval before he went to treatment. They kept telling me they were in network and all that jazz.VERY frustrating! Dental issues are one of the worst, IMO....dental pain and back pain are by far the worst for me.

Hugs Lex!
Old 04-17-2015, 07:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's everything I can do sometimes to rein in my inner control freak and insist my husband stop putting off going to the dentist.
Old 04-17-2015, 07:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Oh, this is very familiar to me. I do that when my "rightness" is challenged. Doesn't really matter what the issue at hand is but if I feel like justice isn't being served it really puts a bee in my bonnet.
Old 04-17-2015, 07:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm not sure which I can't stand dealing with more - dental work or insurance companies. Both stink!!! lol

Glad you were able to finally get it worked out.
Old 04-17-2015, 08:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Dentist + insurance problems = not good.

I had a great dentist called Ali, and at football finals time he had a shrine to the Eagles (our local team) in his rooms. My kinda guy.

Speaking of customer hiccups; I went to an Apple store lately to return a faulty phone they'd sold me, and I was told the Genius Bar was booked out for 2 days could I come back? I had a pleasantly phrased but very dangerous reaction; 'you have supplied me with faulty goods and I'm not waiting 2 days to exchange'. Sometimes there's an advantage to being older and not taking any sh***.
Old 04-17-2015, 08:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Originally Posted by FeelingGreat View Post
Speaking of customer hiccups; I went to an Apple store lately to return a faulty phone they'd sold me, and I was told the Genius Bar was booked out for 2 days could I come back? I had a pleasantly phrased but very dangerous reaction; 'you have supplied me with faulty goods and I'm not waiting 2 days to exchange'. Sometimes there's an advantage to being older and not taking any sh***.
True dat. I am SO much more assertive now than I was years ago. It also helps to be single, I think. I know now that if *I* don't stand up for me, nobody else will. I just get annoyed with myself when I feel the emotions taking over.
Old 04-17-2015, 09:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Insurance companies actually paying anything has become the exception. I recently tried to call my insurance (Anthem, the one that got hacked so God only knows who has all of my personal info now) to ask them for an explanation. After wading through many voice mail layers I finally got to an option to let me speak to someone. The phone just rang and rang. No one answered, not even more voice mail.