How powerful is denial?

Old 04-17-2015, 06:04 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I brought booze with me if I was staying someplace that didn't have alcohol.
Old 04-17-2015, 06:12 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

My ex routinely drinks and gets drunk at events or places that don't have alcohol. If a person wants to drink they will do it. And she has a right to drink as much as she wants whenever she wants. She is an adult over 21.
If that behavior isn't acceptable to you, then think about what you want your boundaries to be.
Old 04-17-2015, 08:02 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. I'm sorry for what brings you here, yet very glad you found us! Please keep posting.

Counting your own drinks, justifying, self-limiting, etc. can also be signs of early alcoholism. Maybe something to consider, is alcohol causing more problems than what you're aware of?

Yes, denial is a huge part of the disease in both alcoholism and codependency. I've found Alanon to be life-changing. The hardest part was getting through the door. It still took me a long time to truly start working the steps and get a sponsor. Yes, denial can be huge. I marvel at my own denial more than my husband's now.

I'm now learning how wonderful life is and so very thankful for my own journey in this. I can't control, change or cure my husband's disease. There ARE many things I can do to improve my own life.

Miracles do happen and people find recovery every day. Without interference.
Old 04-17-2015, 08:33 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

As a former drinker myself, I respectfully suggest she is drinking but hiding it.

She will quite likely have a hidden stash with her at her mom's house, and will
drink it mixed or in the bathroom, etc.

She may be avoiding sleeping with you so you can't smell it due to lack of proximity.

More will be revealed.
Sounds like you have a good attitude about this, which is great.
I think you were spot on about her problem drinking so she's taking it underground.
Just what I did.
Old 04-17-2015, 04:24 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by Hawkeye13 View Post
As a former drinker myself, I respectfully suggest she is drinking but hiding it.

She will quite likely have a hidden stash with her at her mom's house, and will
drink it mixed or in the bathroom, etc.

She may be avoiding sleeping with you so you can't smell it due to lack of proximity.

More will be revealed.
Sounds like you have a good attitude about this, which is great.
I think you were spot on about her problem drinking so she's taking it underground.
Just what I did.
That would have been me. I never went anywhere with out my stash. Heck I'd bring my vodka to drinking events so people would not know much I was drinking. Wife would say you smell like booze and i would say i only had a couple of beers. Of course I didn't mention the fifth of vodka.

There are a lot of things I don't miss about drinking but the planning , lieing and conniving were high on the list