I love you guys

Old 04-14-2015, 07:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I love you guys

Just a quick reminder of what SR means to me.

When I came here, I had all the wrong ideas. You all were going to help me understand my A and help me fix him. You were going to tell me how to be a better wife and a better support to him!...........

Bahahahaha!!!!!!

Then you opened my eyes. It wasn't about him, it was about me. This is the ONLY place I can come where for ONCE it is just about ME and my own recovery.

I love you all. You have no idea!!!!
Old 04-14-2015, 08:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Free,
I feel the same way..
I remember looking at the sticky "success stories" and thinking there were going to be stories about the alcoholics getting sober and living happily ever after with their families.
My own recovery was something I hadn't even given thought to at that time.
"Success" to me was getting him to stop drinking.
If only he would stop drinking, everything would be fine.... Boy was I wrong.

I still have a long way to go, but I wouldn't have gotten as far as I have without you all.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've just started that journey to self recovery. However, the alcoholic in my life may soon no longer be part of my life. If that happens, should I continue on this journey as I feel it will only serve as a reminder, or should I step off and move on. Maybe it's a choice I must make. Much love and respect to you all !
Old 04-14-2015, 09:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Right back atcha and everyone else here too. I'd still be so lost without you all!
Old 04-14-2015, 10:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ch76 View Post
I've just started that journey to self recovery. However, the alcoholic in my life may soon no longer be part of my life. If that happens, should I continue on this journey as I feel it will only serve as a reminder, or should I step off and move on. Maybe it's a choice I must make. Much love and respect to you all !
Well are you here FOR the alcoholic? Or are you here for you?
Old 04-14-2015, 10:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freetosmile View Post
When I came here, I had all the wrong ideas. You all were going to help me understand my A and help me fix him.

That's why I originally went to al-anon........Bahahahah!!!!

Glad I stuck around long enough there and here to understand the difference.
Old 04-14-2015, 11:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

back to you to Freetosmile.
Old 04-14-2015, 11:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

LOL! I mentioned in passing to AH that I had gone to an Al-Anon meeting. That's exactly what he thought it was about Thankfully, I had already done a lot of reading here and knew better.

I nicely informed him it was for me and not him.
Old 04-14-2015, 11:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Oh, and Carlotta I love your avatar - I hope you don't mind, I stole it and printed a copy to paste on the inner cover of my journal
Old 04-14-2015, 11:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by atalose View Post
Well are you here FOR the alcoholic? Or are you here for you?
I'm here for me. A lot to learn obviously ! Thank you !
Old 04-14-2015, 12:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Ch76

You are absolutely here for you! You are worth it! Just as an addict in early recovery is subject to relapse if the get off the train too soon, so are we. We may meet another addict and think "this one is diffrent, I can handle it" no we can't. The more we learn about ourselves, the better choices we will make in the future.
Old 04-14-2015, 01:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I too love all of you.
I had intentions of trying to FIX him and that's why I joined SR.
Hell, I didn't even know codependency was a word-let alone a long ride of recovery.

Thank you all for sharing countless stories, wisdom, faith, insight, suggestions, what have you. I appreciate it so much! BIG HUGS*
Old 04-14-2015, 02:22 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I have learned so much from each of you and am so thankful to have found this sight. I appreciate how nonjudgmental you are. I always listen to your advice but don't always take it. As much as I would love to say my STBXAH is the entire reason for all of our problems, I know my codependency is not only part of the reason for our problems it is all of the reason for mine. It is why I am having so much difficulty saying goodbye to him and our marriage. But you all are the reason I am able to get out of bed each day and try to work on my recovery. I started out here the same way trying to fix my A and finding a way I could help him change. I am now here for my recovery and to learn how to fix me!
Old 04-14-2015, 03:28 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Originally Posted by Wheresmyunicorn View Post
Oh, and Carlotta I love your avatar - I hope you don't mind, I stole it and printed a copy to paste on the inner cover of my journal
Not at all I love the character of Grumpy Cat because she is the anti codie. When I grow up I want to be just like her (well on my way LOL)

Old 04-14-2015, 04:36 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Soooo glad to hear this. As of late I have been attending a lot of my recovery group meetings and then the ACOA side of my being comes here many times from one to the other. I see a LOT LOT LOT of newbies on the A side blaming every darned thing in the world on everything under the sun other than taking personal responsibility for themselves. Then I come here and see the same kind of blaming except its a person not a substance but the blame game continues here. At some point the endless merrygo round of blaming will continue until each respective side stops trying to fix the other side or blame and work on themselves. It is refreshing to see your post. YOu made my day:-)
Old 04-14-2015, 05:01 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

and I love you too "free".

I think about my "ups" and "downs" since I joined here. How at times I can become irrational. I am always welcomed back. This is like the family that I never had, but wished I did.

(((hugs)))
amy