Higher Power showed me what left of my heart

Old 04-13-2015, 08:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Higher Power showed me what left of my heart

Earlier I was worried that my heart had pretty much died. I'm still numb, but not dead. I went for a walk with a friend tonight and she started to feel bad so we strolled over to the local 24hr pharmacy to grab her some meds. As we approached the store, there was a young woman of about 22 outside obviously completely wasted. Looked a bit like meth to me and as we got closer I could see the scratches on her face. My heart broke. I thought "who do you belong to?" We went inside and informed the manager that she was in danger of being run over in the parking lot. They went out and brought her into the store and called someone to get her. She wasn't belligerent or loud. Just out of her head.

As we were leaving I hear a male voice yell "yo, Kimmy!" I turn to see one of my ex's number one coke/h/ booze buddies. My ex and this guy would get wasted almost every night. Many a night I stepped over this guy on the way out the door. When my ex would say that he was going to Sam's to watch a movie, I knew nothing good was going to happen. It would be drink, drugs and possibly girls. I hated this guy.

This Sam tonight was bright, shiny and CLEAR HEADED! He had gone to rehab for 30 days after his 3rd DWI, had gotten out a month ago and has been knee deep in therapy and meetings. I was genuinely happy to see him and hear his story. He said "yeah, man. I'm so sorry for all that crap we put on you. It was insane. I'm just really glad you didn't start using with us" Well that's more than my ex has said to date!!

So, God in His wisdom said "see, you can feel compassion for the lost and joy for the recovering" it's good to know. Don't get me wrong, I didn't turn into the Julie Andrews nun from the sound of music. But maybe there is a chance for the old me that gave a dam to come back. Maybe.
Old 04-13-2015, 08:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Funny how there can be lessons where we least expect them.... I'm happy for you - God knew you needed that tonight!
Old 04-13-2015, 09:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

There's hope for everyone it seems and it's great to see people recovering. I feel sorry for the girl wandering around, putting herself in danger.