Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

Recommending shock therapy for my son-all responses appreciated

Recommending shock therapy for my son-all responses appreciated

Old 05-07-2015, 04:28 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I doubt we are talking shock treatment here.
In the old days (type of shock) may be different now. Anyway I saw some results in a neighbor lady that was scary. I would be sure to do my homework.

Mountainman
Old 05-07-2015, 04:42 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Knitter......If it were me---I would be feeling very grateful for this turn of events. Him getting treatment is the most important thing......right?

I can't remember if you (and your husband) are in any k ind of program to help you deal with an adult child with these issues......but, if not, this would be the perfect time to engage in such help.

This is more of a marathon than a sprint.....and, the issues of where to draw and how to uphold boundaries is probably going to be around for a looong time.
You and your husband need to learn how to live your lives. There is no point in sacrificing y our happiness....it will not help your son one bit.....

dandylion
Old 05-10-2015, 09:50 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

What a roller coaster. The county did not support the hospital's provision to commit our son and the hospital chose not to appeal. So my son is home with us awaiting an opening in a day treatment program. It could be weeks. Trying to focus on something other than this.
Old 05-10-2015, 10:51 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I have also heard that ECT is extremely effective, and sounds much scarier than it is. I think it has to be done under sedation.

Having lost someone close to depression, I tend to think depression should be attacked with the most aggressive means possible. I wish the depressed person I knew had tried ECT. If the shock therapy changes the chemistry in the brain, then isn't it sort of the same thing as taking meds, but just more efficient?

I am very sorry you are going through this with your son.
Old 05-10-2015, 03:44 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I hope things work out Knitter.

Hugs on Mother's Day!