boredom, how to support

Old 04-08-2015, 07:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

boredom, how to support

So I told dh to get sober or get out last Wed. He finished his bottle Wed night. Thurs he was sober. Fri he had a small bottle, much less than normal. Sat was a few beers a friend brought. Fri/sat he didn't seem to even get drunk it was so much less than "normal". He has now been sober Sun, Mon, Tues. Baby steps, but progress all the same.

He told me fri he wants to just drink on the weekend, like a normal person. I don't think its possible. I also don't think I can convince him of that. I think he needs to be sober, then drink on fri and feel all those cravings come back to really get it. I'm not encouraging him to do this, I just think he might need that to happen for the reality to hit him.

So last night he was sitting there saying he was bored. I know boredom was always an excuse to drink. I know the continued boredom will become a trigger for him. I also know its not my job to entertain him.

But how do I support him through this?
Old 04-08-2015, 07:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi 3070, are you feeling responsible for his entertainment? He may be bored, he may be sitting around feeling bored, but it's not your problem. He's an adult, he needs to learn to handle sobriety himself. Resist the urge to rescue him.

Any jobs need doing around the house?
Old 04-08-2015, 07:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

So I told dh to get sober or get out last Wed. He finished his bottle Wed night. Thurs he was sober. Fri he had a small bottle, much less than normal. Sat was a few beers a friend brought. Fri/sat he didn't seem to even get drunk it was so much less than "normal".
What happened to your boundary of sober or out when he drank on Friday then again on Saturday??

I think long before you worry about HIS boredome you need to first focus on YOUR boundaries and sticking to them.
Old 04-08-2015, 07:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You can't support him if he isn't ready to quit, and it sounds like he isn't.

He just cut back to get you off his back, but pretty quickly he'll be right back where he was or worse.

I did the same thing to my spouse, so I know the pattern very well.

Maybe continue with your boundary of not living with a person who is drinking will show him your serious.

Tell him if he wants to drink, that's fine, but he needs to make other living arrrangements as you will not live with an active drinker.

Tough perhaps, but if you "allow" him to try to moderate, he will fail and the pattern will keep repeating itself.

It really depends if you are ready to move forward with that, or need to stick around for some more to be sure. We support you either way.

Alanon can help you start to figure out what's best for you if you can find a meeting.
Old 04-08-2015, 07:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The boundary failed on fri b/c I woke up with a massive migraine, vomiting, anxiety attack, the works. I was struggling to care for me that day and was in no place to enforce any boundaries. Sat his friend came over bringing beer. This whole thing is new for us and neither of us were prepared for how to handle that situation.

I do think dh wants to quit. I just don't think he has come to terms with the idea of never drinking again. He wants to be normal and be able to have a drink sometimes. I don't think he accepted that isn't a possibility.

I know its not my job to entertain him. But what do I do when he makes those comments? Calling him out on how it isn't my job isn't supportive. How do I handle it in a supportive way?
Old 04-08-2015, 07:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

If they're bored because there's nothing around to do when they're sober, there's still nothing to do when drunk, they just don't notice it as much. So they really aren't looking for stimulation, just distraction. This of course can only be achieved by drinking. He's not ready to quit. He can't abide by your boundary because he can't abide by his own.
Old 04-08-2015, 07:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

He needs a program of recovery and self regulation. You can only support him to get help
Old 04-08-2015, 08:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 3070 View Post
The boundary failed on fri b/c I woke up with a massive migraine, vomiting, anxiety attack, the works. I was struggling to care for me that day and was in no place to enforce any boundaries. Sat his friend came over bringing beer. This whole thing is new for us and neither of us were prepared for how to handle that situation.

I do think dh wants to quit. I just don't think he has come to terms with the idea of never drinking again. He wants to be normal and be able to have a drink sometimes. I don't think he accepted that isn't a possibility.

I know its not my job to entertain him. But what do I do when he makes those comments? Calling him out on how it isn't my job isn't supportive. How do I handle it in a supportive way?
This tells me you are paying a very big price for his drinking.

Unfortunately, being "supportive" is pretty much read as weakness by someone not ready to stop drinking.

Sorry you are hurting.
Old 04-08-2015, 08:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A work in progress

He doesn't want to quit drinking. "He told me fri he wants to just drink on the weekend, like a normal person."

He's a long way from wanting to quit.

I suggest you go to Al-Anon and start thinking about what your boundaries REALLY are. Empty threats only tell him you don't need to be taken seriously. Nobody is suggesting you have to leave the relationship right away, but don't say things that you don't mean.
Old 04-08-2015, 08:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Old 04-08-2015, 08:28 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 3070 View Post
You need to disengage. He's looking for your approval to drink. You should probably just say "You need to do what you need to do" and go on about your day.
Old 04-08-2015, 10:04 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I agree with other posters here - please consider Alanon or some sort of therapy for yourself. He needs to learn to take care of himself, and clearly he is not ready for that.
Old 04-08-2015, 10:14 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

One of the biggest challenges someone who actually quits is learning to live with their feelings. You can't help. He has to learn this all by himself. While it's tough if he really wants it he will learn to cope
Old 04-08-2015, 10:34 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

So I told dh to get sober or get out last Wed.
It's not a good idea to set boundaries then let them go. Alanon helped me with denial and rationalization, I recommend going to some meetings.
Old 04-08-2015, 11:02 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Speaking as a RA, he doesn't want to quit. Is all quack quack quack to keep you off his back. I used to do the same.

Best thing is to focus on yourself and your growth and recovery.
Old 04-08-2015, 11:09 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Just wanted to add this. You won't make it easier for him to quit drinking by taking care of all his perceived reasons for drinking. In other words, you can't control his desire to drink by making sure he isn't bored or by doing other things to "support" him.

He could go on for years and years this way. He isn't going to "wake up" because he finds that he has cravings. He will just drink to relieve them and then make excuses for it to convince you (and himself) that he is simply choosing to drink and that he's controlling it just fine. I know, I did that for quite a few years, myself, as did most of the alcoholics I know.
Old 04-08-2015, 12:08 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

OK I know all of you mean well, but your advice isn't helpful. I didn't ask for you to tell me if he means what he says or to comment on my struggles holding the boundary, etc. I know you are trying to make sure I'm well aware of reality, but that's not what I asked for.

I have asked for ways I can be supportive when he lets me know he is struggling with this. I don't want to fix it for him. But when I respond to him I want to know what to say that would be helpful. How do I tell him its his to figure out w/o sounding like a jerk? It's not in my nature to be mean spirited. But the old way of handling him didn't work, obviously. So I need some suggestions for what to say that is supportive of him, but also respectful to myself.
Old 04-08-2015, 12:25 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks a lot everyone for your fabulous comments -I've gained invaluable insight from here!
Old 04-08-2015, 12:32 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

3070- I will be honest I don't know how you can say things to him. Have you asked him how he would like you to be supportive? If it's merely boredom that he really struggles with I would say that's a big challenge. Much of life is boring. Does or did he have hobbies, belong to a club, etc? What I think would be helpful for him is to figure out if it's really boredom or is he actually stressed and looking for an escape? Maybe he is tired. There is a lot of possibilities. I think if you really want him to quit and he doesn't want to completely than the two of you have to come up with rules, boundaries, and so on that you both can live with
Old 04-08-2015, 12:43 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I just don't see how it's possible to be supportive of someone who is handing you an excuse.

I don't see, from your description, where he is making any sincere effort to remain sober--he's TOLD you he still wants to "drink normally." He's still drinking whenever the urge strikes. Not drinking for a few days isn't "progress." Recovery from alcoholism doesn't work that way. It isn't something you can work your way up to, like working out at the gym. As long as the alcoholic is drinking, the disease is progressing.

I've been around recovery for over 35 years, when my first husband got sober. I later married another alcoholic, who went back to drinking. I'm sober myself now for six years. I know tons of recovered/recovering alcoholics.

It isn't that we are ignoring your question--the problem is that there's no way to do what you're hoping to do.