Night terrors are they real

Old 04-07-2015, 08:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I've just had night terrors that my sons father is dying and that very bad things are happening to him. As my son and I are in police protection even if I wanted to reach out to see if he's okay I can't. I feel so guilty and so sorry for him. I don't know if my fears are valid but I have not felt this or dreamt like this since he abandoned us when my son was born. I feel like vomiting I feel such terror. Secretly hoping and praying he is okay just drunk watching tv somewhere and isn't hurt.
Old 04-07-2015, 08:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Of course they're not real.
(Preaching to myself here; I spent most of the night awake after a horrendous nightmare where I was speaking at my daughter's funeral.)

My first thought this morning was "I need to get back into therapy; I don't care if I have to sell a kidney to afford it."

Do you have a therapist? This is the kind of thing that's so unsettling because the feelings are so strong they're hard to talk yourself down from.
Old 04-07-2015, 08:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sure, night terrors are real. They are most common in young children. My sister had them. They are scary. She would waken screaming and crying, her eyes wide open and yet she was still asleep. They were scary. They woke everyone up.

You had a bad dream. Who cares how your ex is. Doesn't he have a new life? He doesn't care one bit for you or that baby. Why do you continue to waste your life on him? If I were you I wouldn't pee on him if he were on fire.
Old 04-07-2015, 08:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Lilamy yes I had a booking tomorrow with my therapist and gp so I'll be sure to discuss this. I feel so sick in my stomach.. And then the guilt turns on me and my issues and then I get lost in a fog.. It's 1:50am and I am wide awake condemning myself for everything that's wrong with my life.. I feel sorry for the addict but I have my own issues I need to look after.. Really what can I do if he harms himself - nothing. I have too much on my plate and too much self loathing to deal with I can't be going down this path now.. Night terrors after two years.. I thought this was meant to get easier not scarier. We aren't even married anymore!!! Who am I kidding! His mistresses and lovers and alcoholic mother can worry about him. I have to look after our son and my sanity
Old 04-07-2015, 08:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Dreams are just made up of random thoughts, sparked by neurons in your brain that fire away and repair themselves during the night. Sometimes this produces some pretty weird results. Don't worry, it's just a dream. Be well and take care of yourself!
Old 04-07-2015, 08:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Happy thank you for making me giggle and your right we aren't even married and he still terrorises me!! Through my ******* dreams!!! Maybe it's because of the up coming court case.. I don't know I just want him to leave us alone (dreams included)
Old 04-07-2015, 08:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you bigs.. I just didn't know if it were my gut instinct telling me something wrong or a genuine dream you know. Still there is nothing I can do.
Old 04-07-2015, 08:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Night terrors are different from nightmares--it sounds like you had a scary and upsetting nightmare.

I don't believe dreams tell the future, or what's happening with someone you dreamed about. Dreams pick up on all kinds of details we are processing during the day.

Talk to your therapist about it if you're unable to shake off the effects.
Old 04-07-2015, 08:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank u Lexie x
Old 04-07-2015, 08:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

God bless SR. and the support I have here.
Old 04-07-2015, 09:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I still have dreams (mostly nightmares) about my X. It's usually around the time he is going to be around my kids. HOWEVER, in real life, it is never like the nightmares. It is just my brain shuffling around my thoughts, nothing more.

Hugs to you.