Close call

Old 04-05-2015, 07:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Close call

On the way home from my AA meeting tonight, I narrowly missed running over a bunny that ran in front of my car.

Wouldn't THAT have sucked on Easter??

Actually, the way things were going this evening, I'm surprised I didn't run over the bunny. It must be a full moon, because the meeting was full of whack jobs--including one woman who claimed to have 7 years but told us she was only there to get her license back. She interrupted people, cracked jokes while other people were sharing, didn't know the difference between a Step and a Tradition when it was her turn to read Step 4 (she read the Tradition instead). I had agreed to come early and set up and make the coffee, only to find none of the outlets in our room were working (apparently that was true last week--a meeting I missed--and nobody bothered to tell me). I felt like I was in the Twilight Zone all night--it was a surreal experience.

Just rambling. Our home group is sort of going to pieces because only 2-3 of us can be counted on to be there almost every week. It's a shame--it used to be a great meeting. Maybe time to find another home group, but I feel sort of obligated to try to keep this one going.
Old 04-05-2015, 08:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Seems like a lot of emotions this past week and weekend for myself and many in my groups. That phrase seems very strange to say, as I've been feeling very alone even with 40-50 people. It was nice to know I'm not alone, so laying low and letting these emotions work themselves out.

So glad you didn't hit the bunny!
Old 04-05-2015, 08:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
Wouldn't THAT have sucked on Easter??
That totally would have!! LOL

Lucky LiL Bunny!
Old 04-05-2015, 09:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Location: My mind wanders a lot, but I try to stay in the present.
Maybe it was a magical bunny (it being Easter and all), and because you spared it's life it will grant you the wish of repopulating your home group with a few less whack jobs.

I hate to see someone have to give up on a home group. Hopefully this is just a phase it's going through, but you've got to do what's best for you.

Whatever you decide, Happy Easter to you and your new bunny friend.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Bunnies!

Is it a full moon? I've had one hell of a day with whack jobs. My AM found out I'm in the hospital and wanted my room number (hell no), some psycho in my IBD support group resurfaced tonight targeting my personal discussion there, and then set off a mountain of drama with existing members and admin. I turned off the phone for a bit and ignored it. Did talk to the only brother who will still speak to any of us siblings (4/5 of us are still living). That was nice. But yeah, it's been an odd day all around. At least the docs allowed me a Frosty today since I can't have solids - meaning no chocolate.

Hope your home group gets more folks in it. Maybe the spared cottontail will get the word out. FWIW, I'd much rather eat the rabbits than cuddle them. Mean little bastards.
Old 04-06-2015, 12:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

So glad you didn't kill the EB; think of all those egg deprived children
Old 04-06-2015, 02:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

NW....what in the world do you have against bunnies?

dandylion
Old 04-06-2015, 05:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Just to be clear, I'm not normally critical of anyone new who comes in and isn't familiar with Steps/Traditions, format of meeting, etc. I think what got me about this gal was that she made it a point to tell me before the meeting, in sort of an uppity way, about her seven years and why she was there, along with her cross-talk through the whole meeting.

n our intro, we always invite anyone wanting to join the group to see one of us after the meeting. Her hand shot up, and I inwardly moaned. I repeated, "talk to one of us after the meeting." Thankfully, she left right after the meeting. According to her, she's been sober for seven years, and is basically using the group for her own purposes.

We used to have a pretty reliable core group with a lot of sobriety among the members. Right now, there are four of us with over a year, one of whom is older with a lot of health problems (which means she misses a lot of meetings), so a lot falls on the rest of us. We get a lot of great people coming, but the ones needed to keep the meeting running are in short supply.

It's been this way for a while now, but we'll see how it goes. I'm not ready to bail yet.
Old 04-06-2015, 05:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Just a quick safety tip: do not swerve to miss an animal in road. A friend of mine did so, rolled her car and is now paraplegic.
Old 04-06-2015, 05:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Originally Posted by AliWProk View Post
Just a quick safety tip: do not swerve to miss an animal in road. A friend of mine did so, rolled her car and is now paraplegic.
Agreed. I like animals, but not enough to risk my life. The bunny had lucky timing.
Old 04-06-2015, 05:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I worked last night. We served a rabbit ragu with pappardelle. Tacky. . .but actually a bit yummy.

Sorry about your group. I've been to a few open meetings, to my daughters NA when they had celebrations and the meetings at my xabf's rehab before I was tossed aside. Seems to me there are lots of mandated people who don't give a fig and are taking up space and there is nothing that can be done about it without violating the policy that you only have to have a desire to stop drinking. But mandated people don't have that desire from what I can see. They only desire to make the judge happy. The future for the groups is bleak if that can't be reigned in. I'm no AA fan, but it works for some and those people need a chance in functional groups.
Old 04-06-2015, 06:01 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Saturday night was in fact a full moon. And an eclipse!
Old 04-06-2015, 06:02 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I have no problem with the court-ordered people. Some do come back around when they are ready to be done, and sitting in a meeting once a week doesn't hurt.

Lots of groups go through periods of struggle. Some make it and some don't. I've been "around" AA since my first husband got sober 35 years ago, and there are always some who are sicker than others, as they say. I've seen some of those people make amazing recoveries.
Old 04-06-2015, 06:16 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Lexie, I am so glad you missed the bunny! Indeed, that would really suck. Thought I would mention, it is indeed a full moon!!! Sounds like crazy town LOL!

Have a super day!
Old 04-06-2015, 06:25 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

In fact, the fourth of five Blood Moons. Happened to fall on a high holy day, which practically never happens, according to the astrology peeps here.

I thought AA meetings had the best show in town. I don't go anymore, but I did like all the personalities. Well, most of them Ya never know what's going to happen at a meeting.
Old 04-06-2015, 06:35 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

What did she mean by "I've got 7 years"? Was she implying she's been sober for 7 years? If so, why did she not have a license and was court-ordered to go to meetings?
Old 04-06-2015, 06:40 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Yeah, that's what she was implying. Unless she meant she first set foot in an AA meeting seven years ago (which with this one, is entirely possible). I was talking with a couple of the other women who are home group members as we were cleaning up, and one of them said, "No way" has she been sober for seven years. Never know, some people have permanent brain damage or other mental health problems, but she didn't strike me as someone who had been sober for seven years (maybe she was on the "meth maintenance program").

She could have had her license suspended all this time and this is a condition of restoring it. That's my guess.
Old 04-06-2015, 06:42 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
but she didn't strike me as someone who had been sober for seven years (maybe she was on the "meth maintenance program").
LOL... Mmmmkay! She sounds like a whack-O running mouth nut-job. She needs to pipe it down, lol.