Awesome Article: Feel Your Feelings!

Old 04-01-2015, 09:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Awesome Article: Feel Your Feelings!

Hey Guys!

I know this can be a common issue for people with loved ones with addictions and other mental health issues: feeling our feelings. (I seriously struggle with this A LOT)

Sometimes everything is just too chaotic and we tune out. Sometimes tuned out becomes the norm for us. It can be a problem, for sure!

This article talks about it, and society's push toward positivity to a fault, and it gives some great and practical advice for tuning in. It's awesome, and worth the read.

3 Radical Reasons to Be Okay with Not Being Okay (And 4 Ways to Manage the Feelings) ? Everyday Feminism

On that note, how do you go about tuning in, or maybe even noticing when you're tuning out (I tend to struggle with even noticing sometimes!)
Old 04-01-2015, 09:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

This is an interesting, important topic Spalding! So often the people in our lives discourage us from expressing, and if those people are our caretakers when we are little it can leave us feeling confused, or even incapacitated, when we try to express ourselves as adults. So, you can imagine what effect that might have on future relationships This article pans out to look at things from a societal perspective, and a feminist one at that (emotions are feminine, to be feminine is weak, we need to hide our weakness, etc).

There's a section of one of books I'm reading that has a bunch of exercises exactly about this. I'm not in the place where that book is but I'll come back to this thread when I am.

(My FOO wants to know how I am, but REALLY I think they want to know that I'm totally 'over' 'all that stuff from last year' (my mom) and that I'm 'back on track' (in school/something similar). I don't know how to tell them anything about how/what I'm actually doing and have them hear it on any level. Sigh.)
Old 04-02-2015, 08:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for posting this, Spalding! I was discussing this with my (depressed/suicidal) teenager yesterday, and the idea that there's nothing morally deficient with not being constantly upbeat and positive actually lit a spark in her eyes that I haven't seen for a long time. She felt understood by this article -- and that saved my Easter week.
Old 04-02-2015, 08:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Spalding
I like this...
Old 04-02-2015, 11:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I REALLY love this article.

My boss is a perfect example of being Positive to a fault. Everything is a "challenge", never a problem. Everything can be accomplished no matter how short the time frame, no matter how irresponsible it is to make such promises when most of the process is out of our control.

It drives me bat$hit crazy because she perceives this to be a positive quality but I keep showing her how it allows her to set unreasonable expectations on herself & others & then creates twice the negative feelings when the thing couldn't be accomplished. You know, because it was ridiculous to promise such a thing to begin with? BIG Sigh.

Even though this is more touchy-feely than business, I'm sharing this article at our next Women's Group Meeting...... I've also been compiling a list of TED Talks that I think are relevant.