I know I did the right thing

Old 03-31-2015, 06:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I know I did the right thing

I have a friend that ive mentioned here before that has battled alcoholism for awhile. He keeps relapsing and ending up in hotel rooms drinking and ending up in the hospital. I always seem to be there to save him and it just happens again and again. This last time he was seeking help I knew it wouldn't last long from the things he told me. I am at a point where so much good has happened in my life it seems silly to let this one bad thing ruin it and it has been.
This evening he vanished again and I knew what was happening but I chose to go about my normal day and not let it bother me.

Then this evening I get a weird phone call from some girl on his phone that says some guys got him drunk and took all his money and hes passed out in a hotel room. In the past I would have ran there...but this time I took a step back. I called the police to do a welfare check and I told his parents so they are aware.. and let them handle it from there...I cant be responsible for his actions and let it ruin my life anymore. He has to hit bottom without my interfering and hopefully then perhaps will he want help. I lost my dad to alcoholism in 2010 so this is a touchy thing for me but I feel like I did the right thing in this case....
Though, I'd be lying if I didnt say I still worry a bit.
Old 03-31-2015, 06:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

(((HUGS))) You DID do the right thing. You cannot save him; no one can except himself. You have been there for him in the past but nothing has changed. There is no point in continuing to rescue him if he is not interested in rescuing himself.

I know you feel bad and are worried for him; that is just human nature. But you did do the right thing.
Old 03-31-2015, 06:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

awww (((Hugs))) thank you so much Suki44883
Old 03-31-2015, 07:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It's heart wrenching for us when we take those first steps of allowing them to suffer the consequences of their own choices.

You took a brave step forward for yourself!!!
Old 04-01-2015, 10:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You implemented a welfare check exactly how it was designed to be used, so that professionals could be there doing what they have been trained to do! That's exactly the right thing to do.
Old 04-02-2015, 04:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

this could be my story... down to the hotel rooms, i thought I was saving him from the streets. hugs to you.