could someone copy/paste this for me?

Old 03-31-2015, 05:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

could someone copy/paste this for me?

Yesterdays sharing - Baton Rouge Al-Anon

I can't copy/paste text and I haven't seen a way to look at the archives on that site. If anyone could post the contents of that page here, I'd greatly appreciate it. It's the one for Monday, 3-30-2015.
Old 03-31-2015, 05:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Is this what you are trying to post?

I can't copy/paste on my phone and not sure that my laptop got all that you wanted, but I hope this helps.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy

Al-Anon has helped me understand alcoholism’s true nature as a disease, thus transforming my relationship with myself and the alcoholics in my life.
- Heard in a meeting

Picture

Reflect
We can waste time searching for our own reflection in others, or we can focus on reflecting what we love in others.

So much of my life has been spent watching or experiencing one abusive situation after another and seeing how my loved ones sweep it under the rug and pretend it’s OK. It really shook me and caused me to lose faith in myself. When I saw something happen that I felt traumatized by and everyone in my life pretended it was normal, I started assuming that I was too sensitive or imagining things or just plain wrong. And if I brought up the situations with others, often I would get punished for bringing it up. So, unable to express my feelings and told I am wrong, I started just shutting down when an uncomfortable situation was occurring. When I did this, I began to lose my connection with myself because I no longer trusted myself. I treated myself as a crazy person that had no concept of reality. So I would constantly seek myself in others. As the quote says, I would look for my own reflection in others. I would look to others for validation of myself and my feelings to see if they were “correct.”

Now that I am in program, I learned that my feelings are my feelings and I cannot control my feelings. Having feelings, no matter what they are, is never “wrong.” However, when I am not self-aware enough to allow myself to feel and accept my feelings, my actions can be controlled by them. I learned through the Steps how to love myself by accepting my feelings and then giving them up to my Higher Power, take inventory of a situation, and do the next right thing. I learned this by practicing program, reaching out to others to hear their experience, strength, and hope through phone calls and meetings. When I heard something that I resonated with and met someone who exhibited the peace that I wanted to have, I listened to what they had to say. And I began reflecting their behaviors in those situations. I began reflecting what I loved in others because it helped me learned new skills to deal with difficult situations. And stopped looking for others to reflect back to me who I was because I had a strong connection with my Higher Power. When I practice these principles in all my affairs, I achieve serenity.

Picture

Learning Compassion
Three weeks ago my husband walked out on me in a drunken fury. Since then I have been to seven Al-Anon meetings.

Until that first meeting, I didn’t understand it when I heard, “You cannot change him.” My counselor had been saying those words to me for a while, but I didn’t truly believe them. I thought, “If only I tried harder, got madder, withdrew a little more, then my husband would come to realize the damage his drinking was having on our marriage and, more importantly, on me.”

With the help of these few meetings and the Al-Anon literature I have been devouring, I am coming to the realization that, no, I cannot change him. I have also realized I can only change myself—and what a lot of changes there are to make!

I become overwhelmed at times with all the work in front of me, but I am slowly learning “Easy Does It” and “One Day at a Time,” or “Let Go and Let God.”

I now believe with the help of my new Al-Anon family that I will learn to have compassion toward my husband and that I will accept him. I will also discover how to become a stronger, more self-assured woman who knows how to take care of herself.
Old 03-31-2015, 05:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Amy, thank you very much. This one means a lot to me. It explains so well what happened to me and how I've been healing.

Most days I don't know how to put it into words.

Old 03-31-2015, 05:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Any time

I read through it, and it speaks a lot to me, too.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy