H.a.l.t.

Old 03-30-2015, 07:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

H.a.l.t.

Never get too:
Hungry, Angry, Lonly orTired.

The worse two for me is hungry and tired. I'm tired tonight. Exhausted. Wiped out. Kaput.

What I can do is turn to the tools I've been learning and then get to bed soon. When I think of all I can't control, there are still things that are within my control. Taking one deep breath after another, take time for prayer, list things I'm grateful for.

I not only can lay the foundation for a better tomorrow, I can still have a good night. I'm so very thankful for blessings like these.

How are you doing at H.A.L.T.?
Old 03-30-2015, 07:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Conversely - the worst two for me are angry and lonely. Hungry and tired are easier for me to fix. Getting rid of anger and filling that loneliness-much harder for me. I'm exercising more, getting outdoors and continuing the Deepak/Oprah meditation series.

Hope you sleep well!
Old 03-31-2015, 01:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Well I'll be darn . I am so happy to see that this side uses H.A.L.T. too! I love it and used it a lot when I first quit drinking and I still use it to this day. I love seeing how it works for other.
Old 03-31-2015, 04:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

KTF, thanks for the reminder on H.A.L.T. I think angry and tired result in the worst decisions for me, but hungry can bring on its own type of problem...

I'm working with meditation and reiki, trying to balance my energy and emotions, thinking that it will help w/the angry and tired situations. I'm also trying to be more choosy about what I say yes to, trying to see what is something I really need or want to do versus what is something I'm doing out of trying to look good to or be liked by other people.

I also try to make a hard endpoint to my "productive" day--after a certain time in the late afternoon, I simply don't start anything involved or important, at least if I have any choice in the matter. I know that by that time, I'm tired, I'm not thinking clearly and I lack the energy and insight to make good decisions, to be organized and to understand things well.

Curious to see what techniques others use...
Old 03-31-2015, 04:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I struggle most with Angry/Lonely too, guava. Anger makes me irrational and too quick to action, lonely makes me feel victimized somehow..... Hmmmmm.... much food for thought there, I've never thought about it this way before, KTF....

Exercise or yoga help my anger quickly, but that's not always an option. Deep, central column breathing (breathing purposefully through all the chakra points) is my anytime/ anywhere solution. 5 mins of inner focus like that helps me widen my focus back out to the Bigger Picture before I do/say something I'll regret.

With my binge eating issues, I'm rarely ever actually hungry. (working on it... Just starting recovery in terms of my food issues ) When I'm tired, I'm just tired. Passive, more introverted.
Old 03-31-2015, 06:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

H: I'm a bit obsessive about eating routines -- I actually have alarms set on my phone to remind myself to have snacks and lunch.

A: Angry is rarely a problem for me.

L: Lonely? All day at work. Dysfunctional work environment. That's why I pop in here a lot during the day; people at my office don't talk to each other at all if they can avoid it. While I'm no longer dealing with an A, I'm still dealing with the fallout in my kids, and that is often a lonely place. My normie friends all seem to have cut-and-dried solutions for how I should parent and how that would obviously solve my problems. Yeah. Right.

T: All the damn time. I'm recovering from the flu, and that bastard was a whopper this year. Hubby is kind of concerned because I go to bed around 8 every night and sleep till 6. But I need it.
Old 03-31-2015, 01:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Lonely and tired are the hardest for me. I actually have only just started learning how to feel angry. I spent years as a child being taught not to feel, not to protest, not to argue so that one is actually good for me. But when I am tired or feeling lonely I can be moody, withdrawn and generally unpleasent to be around.
Old 03-31-2015, 02:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

HALT is a biggie in my tool box. For me, it's H and then T. The other two not so much.
Old 03-31-2015, 03:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Baby Steps

What is HALT and how/why use it as a tool?? I've seen it mentioned here before but I didn't ask about it.
Old 03-31-2015, 04:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
DMC

I actually mentioned this at dinner.
It's my birthday eve, and the Man took me out. Insisted. Actually had reservations at this really swanky place, but I made him cancel them because a) it's where I take work interviews, and b)I'm too tired. It's a long drawn out meal and I am too tired to stay up. So we went to Carabbas. Which is fine by me. A take out pizza might have even been better, but I was beyond the point of caring.

I'm exhausted from working about the double hours I normally work. One of my "partners" is screwing the rest of the group, the schedule is a disaster, and I am very angry at him. Whether he is or is not having the health issues he claims he is... I really don't care - it's that he didn't give a damn.

And I didn't feel hungry, but hadn't eaten in hours.

So yeah. I was on the brink of crawling into my bathtub and crying my eyes out. Did I mention I was up at 4 am to be at work at 5? Yeah, that too.

So he plied me with wine and cheese and I do feel better. Jewelry (even though it's nothing I would have ever picked out and I haven't even decided if I like it) helped too. Mostly, it's nice to have someone to pull me out of the funk.

But anyway, HALT got used and quoted tonight, so it's even applicable for those of us not dealing with active alcoholism anymore.
Old 03-31-2015, 05:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Butterfly, I'm so glad you asked!

I learned it at family week at rehab, but probably heard it here long before that and didn't really know how to apply it. Here are a couple links that explain it well. Reading the replies and both links are giving me more ideas in applying the acronym. Being aware that being to hungry, angry, lonely or tired can make a difference in my day and my recovery helps me also realize there are things I can do for myself to help in these areas.

HALT | LifeSIGNS
H.A.L.T. (Hungry, Angry, Lonely, and Tired): A Self-Care Tool ~ Gudrun Zomerland, MFT

If you have more questions, please let us know.
Old 03-31-2015, 05:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I like to add the S for HALTS- or SHALT - the S is to remember that when I am sick that I may not be thinking clearly...
Old 03-31-2015, 08:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Readreadread View Post
I like to add the S for HALTS- or SHALT - the S is to remember that when I am sick that I may not be thinking clearly...
That is really helpful to add on! Thank you.
Old 04-01-2015, 06:47 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Baby Steps

Thanks keepingthefaith