SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   It Still Bothers Me (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/362576-still-bothers-me.html)

pookielou 03-19-2015 07:39 PM

It Still Bothers Me

Tonight while exchanging DD2, I start talking to my XAH. He's angry at me for asking him to put a verbal agreement into writing to be legally binding regarding our daughter. He says I was a bad wife because I didn't cook or clean. So after he says that, I find myself wanting to "show" him by scrubbing my house clean. I don't live with him anymore. It's crazy that I still allow that to get under my skin.

I realize, in large part to reading this forum regularly, that no matter what I did or didn't do well enough, in his opinion, doesn't mean that I'm not valuable or good enough. No matter how well I cooked or cleaned wouldn't have stopped him from drinking, having an affair, and getting his girlfriend pregnant in the weeks following the birth of our daughter. Those were his choices. His behavior is his choice. I need to learn to stop trying to justify my worth to him. No matter what I do now, he will never know how much I loved him.

But I do know I can't trust his word. And I do know that an alcoholic who cuts back on the drinking isn't in recovery. IT still bothers me that someone I was once so committed to sees me as worthless. How do I just stop caring AT ALL? I know it's not true but it doesn't stop me from crying on the way home.

maia1234 03-19-2015 07:59 PM

Pl- it's good to cry and get it out.

A's will tell u they say mean stuff to change the subject off of them. Ignore him. Enjoy your freedom.. (((((((hugs)))))))))

sugarbear1 03-19-2015 08:15 PM

they know how to hurt us where it can hurt the most to us, it's how they manipulate others (mostly us)

SeriousKarma 03-19-2015 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by pookielou (Post 5270814)
Tonight while exchanging DD2, I start talking to my XAH. He's angry at me for asking him to put a verbal agreement into writing to be legally binding regarding our daughter. He says I was a bad wife because I didn't cook or clean.

Cry for him, because he's trapped in a soul that doesn't know how to value another person. That's sad.

Even sadder, he's treating you that way because he doesn't value himself.

firebolt 03-20-2015 10:27 AM

Yeah...'hurting people hurt people."

He is i'll. I'm sorry - I agree with the others, enjoy your peaceful home!

changeneeded 03-20-2015 11:15 AM

Pookielou:

When ever my AH sees that I am gaining some self respect he will through a comment in about my housekeeping skills. His mom had a housekeeper and their home was immaculate. Of course, nobody in the house could ever sit on their bed, eat other than meal times.....

I keep a clean house, he just knows it hurts and causes me distress if something negative is said about my house. Sigh, I think he is just trying to bring you down. He sees your gaining strength.

Florence 03-20-2015 12:43 PM

When my XAH feels like getting nasty with me, he tells me I'm controlling and crazy just like my mother, which he knows pushes all of my primal buttons. But guess who between us has actual unchecked mental health issues and all the controlling quirks that go with it?

He's probing your boundaries to make sure he still has an effect on you. What he thinks about you -- what this degenerate, cheating, active alcoholic thinks about you -- should have no bearing on your self-worth. He might take a look in the mirror instead of projecting his negative feelings on you.