OT -the calm before the storm

Old 03-16-2015, 05:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

OT -the calm before the storm

Hi SR friends
As you know I've been separated for 8 years & just spent the last 11/2 years going through custody court settlement.
Not only has this cost me $4000 but whole heap of stress & nastiness from my ex.
Well things have improved some.
We are now communicating again. We are able to have conversations about the children & he has entered my house (with permission & purely child related).
As the holidays are approaching & this is the first time since we separated that there is a court order in place surrounding the holidays I should be relieved. However my children had told me that Dad was having the 2nd week of the holidays. He should be having the first. I thought I would let him know politely that he had his weeks mixed up via text.
He called into work today & apologised & said he's got it all mixed up & could I change weeks. I said I would have to check with my carer etc & I had scheduled 1 day off in that week. Our daughter is travelling internationally for sport & I have worked around her.
Because communication has improved & I am working most of the holidays I said I'd check & let him know. I don't wish to change my booked day off so that would have to remain.
Anyway I can't help but feeling like this is the calm before the storm. Previously he has been so nasty to me & we weren't even speaking.
I keep waiting for something to go wrong.
I guess all I can do is proceed with extreme caution, keep my distance & hope that we both put the court experience behind us & move forward.
However my gut is telling me this is the calm before the storm.
Any thoughts on this?
Old 03-16-2015, 05:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I suggest that you stop projecting, just take it one day at a time and don't venture into personal areas no matter how nice he seems. Your instinct to proceed with caution is on target. Good luck!
Old 03-17-2015, 06:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I totally know that feeling. I've personally learned to trust that gut feeling, because it is almost always correct.

I also had to learn the hard way to just try to stick to the visitation and custody agreement. I will be flexible in unusual circumstances, but I found that it made things worse when I didn't stick to the agreement. For some reason, he is more abusive when he senses a willingness to compromise. It's very weird.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Rosie....when dealing with narcissists...always walk with caution! They don't change their stripes.
If you offer the hand--they will take the arm.

dandylion
Old 03-17-2015, 07:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Oh boy Rosie, do I feel your pain here. My X is a huge narcissist. He is hateful half of the time, totally nice the other half. I never know which I will get. First off, I do try to work w/him reg scheduling, if it works for my schedule. I figure there will be things that come up that I may want to change, so if that happens he will work with me too. It does not happen often so it's not been a big deal.

I do take it a day at a time. I communicate via text mostly so it's short and to the point. I don't need to hear his moods or any extra of his crap that may come if we are on the phone. I can also print out the texts if need be, which I do often.

I can only say to keep the focus on your side of the street and focus on how things work for your schedule.

Tight hugs XXX
Old 03-17-2015, 09:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Rosie, he has a copy of the schedule. This might be carelessness, or manipulation, or both. Be careful allowing him to make changes as it could be the thin end of the wedge.

I suppose it's a judgement call, but you both had a written schedule.