Amends to the group

Old 03-14-2015, 07:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Amends to the group

one of my many issues at this time is insomnia. I try to make it work for me by watching educational/ spiritual vids. I stayed up last night watching ones on forgiveness. I have let so much anger and resentment from my xabf set in that I have become harsh and judgmental. Several of you dear ones are FF/recovery and I have said some pretty awful things about addicts and my attitude about guys in recovery.

For this I am truly sorry for being offensive and insensitive. I'm on my own road of eating disorder recovery and have had my share of wrong headed assumptions about that issues. I am working on being mindful of snap judgements and have decided to actually start working a bit with the teen challenge group in my area as a way to help people along the way. It's really no more than helping collect donations when they're in front of the grocery store. maybe a little cleaning and giving rides once my car is back on the road. To the FF I wish you all the strength and peace in the world
Old 03-14-2015, 08:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Apology accepted. Yeah, I noticed that you slung a bit of mud in the general vicinity of addicts/alcoholics, but I get where you're coming from. Sometimes it does feel like life would be simpler if we were all shipped off to a remote island somewhere, but the world would then be missing the contributions of so many awesome people who have recovered.

Old 03-14-2015, 08:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think most of us in recovery that have stuck around "this side" of the fence for any length of time develop a thick skin or we don't stick around long. I understand that nobody posts on a forum like this because life is going peachy. This is a safe place for people to get support in times of great trouble. Its a place to say things you can't anywhere else and I get that and I keep that in mind as I read.

That said as Lexiecat said there are a lot of people who have made the world a much richer place and were alcoholics. Here's a list I just stole off the internet of a few:
Ulysses S. Grant
Alexander the Great
Winston Churchill
Ernest Hemingway
Vincent Van Gogh
Buzz Aldrin
Stephen King
Robin Williams
William Shatner
Orson Welles

I think the contribution these folks have made to the world would be sorely missed. Also keep in mind that there is a whole world of people that you won't see here that are recovering. Many of us in recovery are struggling with the exact same issues you are. I can't even tell you how many times I will visit my women's recovery forum and see women with titles of threads almost exactly the same as what I see here. We struggle with stress, inconsiderate people, anger issues from people that are NOT alcoholics. I will say that from the group I am in there are a TON of us that didn't develop issues with addiction until midlife. A divorce, an aging parent needing assistance, or a host of other issues can set people off the edge admittedly through unhealthy coping mechanisms. That said there are a lot of us that are genuinely remorseful, never meant to make your lives a living nightmare, and slog through sobriety the best we can. Every day in my recovery group I see another posting from somebody announcing a year, two years, five years sobriety.

I don't mean to defend or excuse addiction in any way and I understand people here are angry for good reasons. I did however want to give you my two cents from a different lens. If you haven't attended an open AA meeting go to one. Your loved one may never get sober and for that I am sorry. There are those that will and we endeavor in our own way to make the world a better place.

Peace,

Cookies
Old 03-14-2015, 09:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Nicely said cookie!!
Old 03-14-2015, 09:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That's pretty big of you Ducky girl.

Well done

Alcoholic folk have feelings too, pretty strong and intense ones actually (which is a massive part of the drinking actually, pain extinguisher)

But from the outside looking in, it probably doesn't look that way.

Thanks again
Old 03-15-2015, 03:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

I think the focus of the F&F forum is not just flinging mud at the A, although that happens, but supporting those who have to live with them.

Sometimes it's hard to distinguish the A from their behaviour.